tab or space

freelance84

I'm currently in the middle of a debate with a friend..

I'm quite strict when i lay out my code, everything is indented properly... and i like to indent with tabs.

However I keep getting slowed down when I hit some code which has been indented with spaces. I have been tag teaming some freelance over the past few months with a friend who insists on using spaces over tabs.

I know this is a very small thing but i was wondering what other people did, and if they had a reason..?

Cheers,

John.

The PHP fig (framework interop group) that was formed to help flush out some common standards between the big frameworks has and is still having a discussion over a common coding style.  As part of the discussion a survey was made of some of the projects of how they format their code.  Here is a google spreadsheet with what they've collected.  While most people... err I mean developers use spaces there is still a tab following. 

I tend to prefer tabs in my code.  I can see where for a larger project with several developers, spaces may yield more consistent formatting overall.  Regardless of which you choose every needs to agree on the same thing and same width as well or it doesn't really make a difference.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.