Is it CSS or PHP?

gerkintrigg

Have a look at http://www.truro.com. The homepage graphic can change depending on the image (below it) that you click.

All well so-far using PHP.

I want the arrows on the right and left to be able to scroll the images left and right. The rest of the functionality seems to be there, so I wondered whether I should use PHP or CSS?

I don't really want to load all of the thumbnails in one go because eventually that'll take AGES! we already have 12, and it's only been online since this morning!

Any advice would be welcome.

Oh brilliant. (That was sarcasm - I'm pants at Javascript)...

Well I can make do with hacking it about.

Any suggestions where to start looking? I've had a squizz at Dynamic drive, but nothing I really like much.

Perhaps an Ajax script might be quite handy...

Then I could load one image either side, us javascript to do an ajax load and smoothly transition in either direction. Does that sound theoretically possible?

*lol* @ Adam.

I'll check out JQuery. It's not like I'm a total numpty, but JavaScript isn't my strongest tool in the box. Sometimes it's necessary and whenever it is, I tend to cringe a little - depending on what's required. Most of the time I can bodge something together.

Thanks guys.

I have a strong disgust for all things javascript - i really do.  But, users of the interwebz have become accustomed to the flair JS adds to your site and neglecting that is well... don't.  jQuery has made JS dumbingly easy if you have any sort of logical / programmatic understanding.  When you need a push in the right direction, there are a million resources out there to guide the way.

I have a strong disgust for all things javascript - i really do.

Really? I think JavaScript is one of the most elegant and flexible languages around, and with technologies like Node.js and frameworks such as Backbone.js becoming more and more prevalent, JavaScript really is the must know language for all web developers.

I think JavaScript is one of the most elegant and flexible languages around, and with technologies like Node.js and frameworks such as Backbone.js becoming more and more prevalent, JavaScript really is the must know language for all web developers.

Well yes, these days the web is more of an interactive application than the old stateless web of the past.  in the modern era of "web 2.0" and the expectations of developers and designers alike to be able to use javascript to bring a rich experience without relying on applets or flash, it truly is a must.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.