Creating A Simple Mail Box For A Forum

White_Lily

No, you just said you want it like this forum's system.

Hotmail is an email service. That is real email. You use an email address like name@hotmail.com.

When you send someone a PM on this forum, you don't use their email address. You use their username and click a link and go write your message. The forum may forward that TO your email, which is completely different. That is just like sending any other mail using PHP.

Again. Explain WHAT you want. Be specific. Use the correct terminology.

Okay so following this - how do I go about doing an unread, read system?

Maybe adding a bitwise (0,1 / true,false) message_read column in your SQL table (or however else) that you will be using to store message information, and when that user receives a message it can be false (or unread) and once the person opens it it will be changed to true (or read.)

If you have a basic forum, you already have most of what you need for a PM system.

When someone writes a new PM, that's the same as starting a new topic in a forum. Replies to the PM are the same as replies/posts under that topic.

The only real coding difference is that the topic/posts are private and can only be seen by the sender and recipient. Posts where the current member is the sender are displayed in his/her outbox. Posts where the current member is the recipient are displayed in his/her inbox.

Have you read what I said? The forum doesn't have a read/unread system yet... Telling me its the same sequence for a read/unread topic doesn't help - because there is absolutely NO read/unread system in the forum at all. That's why I'm asking how I go about it.

Read/unread is not what he said. He said it's the same as posting a message, which, if your forum is working, should already be in place. The only real difference to posting in a thread is that a PM is private between two parties.

Read/unread is a completely different thing, one that doesn't have much to do with posting messages at all.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.