I'm just insane (PS3 related)

obsidian

Although I have no interest in the system itself, I came across a deal too good to pass up. I have been camping at Target at position #5 since Wednesday evening at 10PM. This morning at 8AM on the dot, I picked up a 60GB PS3 with extra controller and [b]Resistance: Fall of Man[/b] for only $670 including tax! I have no desire to keep it, so now I've got to decide whether to list immediately on ebay during this rush or to wait a little while and list it for the Christmas rush instead... thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...
Why would anyone want a PS3?  Especially in the first few months after it's released.  The first few months will be plagued by new bugs found by the general public which will result in lots of system being sent in for repair or replacement and the difficulty in programming games for the next gen will mean a lack of selection when looking for games tailored for the PS3.  I think I'll stick to my PC and my 360 for now.  Yeah, it has some nice features, but they don't out-weigh the price and the likelyhood of problems with the system and the lack of games built for the console.

That's MHO anyway.

I'm a madden fan and maybe it's just my discrimination towards microsoft made products making me see xbox 360 as another thing to not work in my house - BUT my point is, I saw madden 07 previes on both consoles and I have to say, ps3 is much better as far as graphics go. Now I haven't played anything on ps3 yet but I can only assume the best.

The reason I'm not spending a paycheck on ps3 myself is because there is no single electronic object that is worth that kind of money to me. Like I mentioned, my first car was cheaper than that. When the price drops to more like $200-350 then i'll consider actually paying for one but that won't be for what, another 2-5 years? lol.

Do you realize what it replaces though?  Let's say you don't have a DVD player ($150 for a half decent one).  Then you have the basic gaming system ($400+ for an xbox 360, just for comparison).  Now, throw in the fact that it has Blu-ray to play HD movies (most Blu-ray players start at $1000 USD), plus the home networking capability to play music or whatever through your stereo... and you quickly find that it's actually a really good deal. 

You do realize that they're losing a TON of money on each one that they sell, right?

[quote author=ober link=topic=115340.msg477044#msg477044 date=1164989482]
You do realize that they're losing a TON of money on each one that they sell, right?
[/quote]

One more reason to stick with Nintendo ;) lol... recent reports cited that they are actually making profit on every unit sold!

Also, ober, your price comparison is a bit off since the Xbox 360 also has the DVD and other capabilities that the PS3 does. Also, to those who say, "I could build a great computer for that price!", I challenge you to find some of the side by side comparisons of what kind of PC it would take to run the software that the PS3 does. Not only would you have to have a DirectX10 compatible PC to even come close to the rendering power. I'm not a proponent of Sony in any way, but I will acknowledge the power in the system they have designed.

My other big hesitation is the whole Blu-Ray thing. I don't like the idea. It's incredibly expensive, and it's incredibly fragile. From what I've read, often a single scratch will render a disk unplayable. I'd much rather support Microsoft (*gasp*) in their decision to go with HDDVD on this one...

Yeah, I hesitated on the DVD playability comparison because I know both have the capability, but PS3's Blu-ray is technically superior to HDDVD in several ways... but it's like Jocka was saying "but it's just to play games on"...

I don't know... I just get sick of people that cough up the money for a 360 and then complain about the price on the PS3.

[quote author=ober link=topic=115340.msg477056#msg477056 date=1164990212]
I don't know... I just get sick of people that cough up the money for a 360 and then complain about the price on the PS3.
[/quote]

I agree fully with you there. I still can't get over the idea of forking out multiple hundreds of dollars for a gaming system. I don't have either for myself, so I guess I can still talk ;) lol... I can much more comfortably spend $250 on a Wii that [b]only[/b] focuses on what I would buy a game system for: gaming! haha... I'd prefer to have a separate DVD player, media center, etc.

Same here.  Although I have to say that while I do other things on my PC, I regularly fork out hundreds of dollars for upgrades to it and it is pretty much a gaming PC.  I just can't imagine spending that much on a gaming system that is just purely for the gaming aspect.

The idea of the Wii controller is the only reason I'd want one. I saw this boxing game  (very generic looking) but they used the controllers to box which was amazing to me. I've been dreaming of something like that since my "Mike Tyson Punch Out" days.

The ps3 is a great system to have and I don't have either ps3 or xbox 360 by the way. I still just have my ps2 and since games are still coming out then i'll stick with it for a while.
If I get my christmas bonus and I don't need to throw many at anything important I MIGHT consider getting a ps3 but right now, I'm still not sure.

I didn't know you could could do the home networking thing. I should probably dig a little deeper into what ps3 does. When I think playstation I think games and nothing else. But the fact that it does other things has brought me a little closer to wanting to buy it.

[quote author=Jocka link=topic=115340.msg477225#msg477225 date=1165006881]
The idea of the Wii controller is the only reason I'd want one.
[/quote]

Speaking of the Wii-mote... I have a friend that bought one during the Sunday morning release, and he was showing me that in [i]Red Steel[/i], you can get a sniper rifle, and when you zoom in with your scope, you can actually move the Wii-mote in and out to fine tune your zoom, but that's not the best of it. The controller has a speaker in the handle, and when your guy reloads the sniper rifle, you actually here the *click* in your hand rather than from the TV... that's just [b]awesome[/b]

haha might want to update. I had a dvd player like that but I had to mess with it for 30 minutes to make it work everytime.. it sat ontop of a big screen tv and it seemed like everytime I went to put a movie in, it would slip and fall off the back of the tv lol

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.