MySQLI query

NLT
Go to solution Solved by requinix,

Hey,

So recently I decided to try learn MySQLi but I can't find any in depth guides or tutorials so I'm pretty much trying things out for myself.

I'm having trouble with a simple query and I'm not sure why, it doesn't throw errors (even when I had an error in the query, I had to manually use $mysqli->error)

Here is the code: 

<?PHP
error_reporting(E_ALL);
$mysqli = new mysqli(); // removed data

if ($mysqli->connect_error) {
die('Connect Error (' . $mysqli->connect_errno . ') '
. $mysqli->connect_error);
}

$preparation = $mysqli->prepare("SELECT `username`,`password` FROM `users` WHERE `email` = ? ");

$username="test";
$preparation->bind_param('s', $username);

$Rusername = "";
$password = "";

$preparation->execute();
$preparation->bind_result($Rusername, $password);
while($preparation->fetch()) {
echo $Rusername . "<br>" . $password . "<br><br>";
}
$preparation->close();
?>

Question 2: Can I make it display any sort of error throughout any part of the code?

Edited by NLT

• Solution

1. Maybe it's just what you've posted but it appears you're trying to search for a user with the email address "test". Try without the WHERE condition.

2. You can make it check for errors anywhere you want. You should check a] after connecting, b] after preparing, and c] after executing.

1. Maybe it's just what you've posted but it appears you're trying to search for a user with the email address "test". Try without the WHERE condition.

2. You can make it check for errors anywhere you want. You should check a] after connecting, b] after preparing, and c] after executing.

Okay that worked, but is there like a way I could of made that throw a error because no rows were found or would I have to check the amount of rows?

To elaborate on the previous response:

Yes - you can make your user aware that there were no results found, although it is not 'technically' an error.  It may be a user (input) error in that the item sought was not found in the table, but it is not truly an error.

You should always check the results of a query for an error usually done with:

if (!$preparation->execute())

{

(show some error message here)

( handle the failure)

}

else

{

if ($preparation->num_rows ==0)

{

(handle no rows here)

(handle the failure)

}

//  continue on here if query was good and results were found

After validating the query ran, you can then check if there were any results.

Hope this helps.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.