lots of questions, need help

PHPlearner32

Hey guys! im currently learning javascript, PHP and SQL. I have a pretty solid understanding of HTML and CSS. I want to make a site similar to facebook (a good facebook). this is going to be a big project and i plan on moving to a bigger server system in a year or so to keep up with demands. 

Heres how the site will function: 

1. Basic registration/splash page. I understand that the finished form is sent to a php file on the server side, correct?  (ill change my server name files of course)

2. after the registration page, while the user is logged in with their new account, there are 3 pages after that that explain what the website is all about and how to use it. the last page allows the user to setup their profile information, ask friends to join, and asks what type of things they like. After the last page, it sends the user to their main control panel, where social media feed can be seen, friends and online chats, news, advertisements, links, pages and groups (think facebook and linkedin)

3. the user will have the ability to look at their profile (not the control panel), and of course switch back to their control panel. social media, friends, groups and ads will also be on their individual profile page as well.

4. i want the site to have two views: a standard view and an enhanced view. the enhanced view will reposition divs and all that stuff so they can see a background image (either stock or one they uploaded) this image will eventually change to an animated image of a 3d environment.

5. the site is going to be heavily social media based. This means social media feeds, image uploading, a structured comment system, a friend system, search functions and targeted advertising.

This is obviously a lot to ask, but since their is so much to learn related to PHP and SQL, can someone point me to the right tutorials on how to get these things done? I am currently learning javascript, PHP and SQL on lynda.com. Expect me to be on this forum a lot and asking a lot of questions. Thanks for any help. 

Edited by PHPlearner32

If you are serious about this, I would go buy some books and manuals so that you get the best info at all times. Using the internet and the info you will find there can be problematic when you find poor info and data and try and utilize it. Sure - there is lots of good info out there but how will YOU recognize it? How much time are you willing to waste doing the wrong things? Perhaps your question should be to ask for recs on the best print media.

I don't have any formal training, but this is what I learned the hard way.

1. Understand and document your user requirements.  Do not go forward until this is complete.
  2. Come up with a final design for all your pages, or at a minimum, a design developed enough to all you to define all required functionality.  Do not go forward until this is complete.
  3. Develop your database schema.  Spend some time here, and get it right.  Be sure it is normalized.  For understanding general SQL queries, I like "Simple SQL" by Rudy Limeback.  For the actual design, I like "Database Design" by Ryan Stephens and Ronald Plew.  Definitely don't go forward until this is complete.
  4. Come up with a consistent MVC design pattern which will be used throughout the application.  I recommend not using someone else's, but just make your own simple one.  Utilize OOP.  Use a single entry point into your site (index.php) where additional data is included in the URL or Post.  Consider the use of Twig templates.  Give thought to security.  Don't go forward until you are happy with it.
  5. Come up with a list of methods in your controllers and models for all the page.  Determine where they shared between individual pages.  Document what arguments they are given or returned, and briefly what they should do.  NOTE TO OTHERS:  I've never done this step, but wish I had.  Is this an important step?  Is the process of doing so called anything so I could search for literature describing how it should be accomplished?

Now, start your application.  Be sure to religiously use PDO and prepared statements for user input.  Use Git for source control!  Ask questions.  Have fun.

You want to look for tutorials for creating a CMS

http://www.elated.com/articles/cms-in-an-afternoon-php-mysql/

http://biglancers.com/blog/tag/php-cms-tutorial-series/

https://phpacademy.org/videos/create-a-cms-with-php

Familiarize yourself how it's done, take extra precautions on security

I agree with what the two posters above said, I'm trying to give you more of a visual.

With the three cms I've created it was much easier and better to me to use php as a template engine, a whitelist controller page to handle includes, custom login and register system, used ckeditor for article submissions.

Learning a framework like laravel and use twig as the template engine can speed you along

Here are a few laravel built cms others did, am sure can expand/modify them since are opensource, or examine how they went about doing it.

http://maxoffsky.com/code-blog/list-cmss-built-laravel/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.