outlook emails

jcombs_31

That sucks, but raises another possible valid point.  Why are people/companies sending large emails with what basically looks like a version of the website?  I'd say a large portion of users still view their mail on less than superb email clients and if you want me to see a bunch of pretty crap and spend time reading through stuff, why not just give me a link to your site?

I used to get pissed off when I was on dialup and I'd get an email that was either big by itself or took forever to download content from the website to fill in the email and make it "pretty".

I just don't understand the need to do it!

looking through the MSDN site that article links to, the list of stuff omitted is quite tragic. You do have to wonder though why, considering their IE7 engine is tonnes better, they revert to the bucket of crap thats bundled with a pretty otherwise decent product.

Did not of the MS developers kinda click when the question was asked: "hmm, shall we use our word processor's engine or our web browser's engine for rendering HTML emails?".

daft buggers. if anything, i hope it makes people shift to alternatives like Thunderbird or just stick on old version of Outlook. It'll be there fault if they lose as many users as they have with their browser.

@ober: for the same reason websites have gone from little more than plain text, to being made up of all kinds of fancy things: more and more people are going from dialup to broadband, and processors are getting faster and memory is getting larger, so these things can be delivered in about the same time. 

Thinking your email should be plain old text is old school.

I guess I'm old school.

CV, I think you missed my point completely.  I'm not saying the web shouldn't have evolved or we shouldn't be making things pretty.  I'm saying we should use the medium for what it is designed for.  Email is for quick messages.  The web is for indepth articles.  I think confusing the two is wrong.

Normal email should just be that...normal emails.  Newsletters to the consumer should have a bit of color, but otherwise normal and plain.  I mean a single logo, a nice sandy tint to the background, and a nice script is good, but a full on header, and placed graphics....even so, I still think Microshaft has made a mistake here.

I have to disagree.  Email is still used for the most part for things that letters used to be used for.  Until my recent job, I hadn't used an IM client for about 3 years (since I left college).  Email is still important for getting messages around.  If you disagree, I'll start forwarding you the 40-50 internal emails I get during an average day... and we're all pretty connected with IM clients as well.

I do agree that some websites go a little too far with their newsletters... but MS is going a little too far with this.

Getting rid of background images is perfectly okay with me. Color support.... I would prefer to keep that, I mean, it's not going to make the email load THAT much slower. I also think you should be able to do CSS, to keep things organized.

Oh well. Nothing we can do about. =(

[quote author=KingPhilip link=topic=122148.msg503805#msg503805 date=1168662852]
Oh well. Nothing we can do about. =(
[/quote]

Ah, but there is. :)

[url=http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/]Mozilla Thunderbird[/url]
[url=http://sylpheed.sraoss.jp/en/]Sylpheed[/url]
[url=http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/]The Bat![/url]

The best way to get something like this changed is to use something else. Send a message - help tell Microsoft that we're disappointed.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.