[SOLVED] Personal Programmer Assistant 0.2

Ninjakreborn

Here is the new version.

I am still considering a few things, redbullmarky is offering me some advice on it, plus I want to see what the people here thing.

I am going to definitely consider
* Building in something to start using MVC pattern
* Build in something to rewrite url's as segment url's
* Build a front control
* Build in some automatic variable cleaning that handles cleaning all variables automatically

These are just some ideas I am tossing around for future versions.

So far the admin panel has undergone some rewrite, but I will have to redo it again later, right now it's meant to be pulled into the root.  If anyone wants to test it out, or look at the source and tell me what you think or anything it would be appreciated.

http://www.freelancebusinessman.com/personalprojects/programmerassistant/programmerassistant.php

Yes, after talking to redbullmarky for quite awhile.  I decided that I was going to go ahead and build the actual framework, folder structure, and any special systems (that run automatically).  Then later build in functions, classes, extensions, plugins, during the time working on projects, or during spare time.

RIght now I am rebuilding my site, and working on a stand alone site for hte program I released, then I am going to go aehad and create a directory link on all my site's showing all the site's I created for personal use.

That will be something I start doing right after those 2 things are off my list, I wanted to have functions too, taht was why I was originally leaning towards code ignitor, I was very happy with the amount of helpers and everything else, then I thought I will eventually have my own stuff that helps me just as much, just in my own style.

Do you have a demo set up for us to actually test? I'm not too fond of the idea of having to download, install and troubleshoot an application to help with alpha testing. I would highly encourage you to set up a served environment to allow us to test on. That way, we at least know that everything up and displayed is running like it should and we can give you [b]much[/b] better feedback on the individual portions of it.

I can, I am a little confused as to how.  One thing I mentioned, I am rebuilding my site now, then building a site entirely dedicated to the framework, within the next few day's I am finishing all of that up. I could go ahead  and create a demo section for it.

However I am still gearing it to be (and even calling it), a framework even if it's only a mini-one right now.

When I go to code ignitor, or cake, I don't see a demo.  How do I set one up for something like that.  It's meant to be totally backend, no front end, or graphical user interface, but you have to actually go into the programming to use it/do things with it.  Can you give me advice on what you mean?

I could give you a long list of ways you could improve it, but all of those ways would require you to learn additional stuff. In short I think you need to learn more before you consider doing something like this. I cant tell you how many times I have changed the design of my structure in terms of code\directory structure and individual classes. It happens a lot, the more you learn the more you want to go back and change things. The thing is when you create a product you should only go back and change it in a way that leaves it backwards compatible. I don't think it is possible for you to keep it backwars compatible unless you learn more before doing lots of the code.

Your functions\class directories are empty, these directories should have the most files in them. even if they are simple functions such as printr() <-- same as print_r but  pre tags inside the function or br(3) <-- prints 3 <br /> tags. It does not matter how simple these functions are the simpler the better, but most of the "framework\library" size should be made up of the files in these directories.

You should also not force people that use the framework to use your own database structure or session_start(). I dont use session_start() the way you have used it in your project because I dont like the way it functions when it comes to session expire times and I really hate its lack of security.

But by using session_start in the way you have you have remove all choice from the people who would use your framework. Unless you have fixed the session handler in a way that improves the security and other issues it has then you should not force it on people.

You should also not force people to use your own database and database tables in a framework. Once a framework adds a database it has usually turned into some form of content management. And I hope you realize I am also referring to mysql as well as your db.sql file. What happens if someone wants to use microsoft sql server? will they have to install mysql + your table structure too.

I have a feeling this will sound overly critical, I just feel you are wasting time that would be better spent filling up the class\function folders. After you create a lot of classes and functions that will be more of a framework than your current project.

And please, shorten the directory names or use an underscore to separate the words.

oh and one last thing I think you should make a conscious decision about framework vs content management because I see this going towards content management but you say you want to do a framework, figure out what it is you really want to do.

A content management system is far from that.  A content management system is a system to allow people to manage there own content, this is giving them abilities to edit text on there site, or manipulate where images are located, or anything.

Far from a content management system.

The other comments are taken into consideration, thanks for the advice, and tip's on some positive changes.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=123770.msg513171#msg513171 date=1169732882]
A content management system is far from that.  A content management system is a system to allow people to manage there own content, this is giving them abilities to edit text on there site, or manipulate where images are located, or anything.
[/quote]

Actually, a content management system goes [b]far beyond[/b] simply laying out the content of a page. If you look at some of the major CMSs out there (Drupal or Joomla for starters), there is everything from new page generation to definitions of all attributes of your site. Grant it, larger ones like Joomla have an application Framework as part of their description, but I think your idea of what a CMS entails may be a bit narrow.

I know what a cms is, either way all in all it's for managing (if not creating) site content.  Creating attributes is still content. 

What I am building is farthest from a cms.

It might not be a framework yet, it might need a lot of work, but I will work on it.  For now, it's far, and allways will be far from a cms.

[quote author=utexas_pjm link=topic=123770.msg514797#msg514797 date=1169916215]
If you're serious about UML you should check out Umbrello (http://uml.sourceforge.net/index.php).  It will create skeleton code for you in PHP, Java, C/C++, etc.  Nice tool.

Best,

Patrick
[/quote]

So does [url=http://argouml.tigris.org/]ArgoUML[/url]. It also allows for importing XMI files, enabling reverse engineering when combined with [url=http://tech.motion-twin.com/php_php2xmi.html]php2xmi[/url].

If you can afford it I recommend [i]Visual Paradigm for UML Standard Edition[/i] ($299) or higher.

www.ppassistant.com
However that is an old version.  I have been rewriting large sections of it since that release, based on the advice here.  It will be 150% different, and I am still working on something to provide backwards compatibility in the future.  What you see there is just the structure.  I have been working on it in my spare time, off of freelancing hours, in my spare time over the weekend.

I will release the new copy in like 2-3 weeks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.