Web Critique :: Colours and Layout

steviewdr

Hi,

Id be grateful to hear your thoughts and opinions on the following website mockup.

Im worried that its a bit too "pink". Thoughts?

I hope to have it a fixed with, center aligned in the browser. I intend to repeat the backgrounds for the: header with fence effect, the Nav and the Footer from right to left 100% width.

The 3 main product images/categories will have a a:hover which will darken the border to a deeper red. The Nav will also have a a:hover with again, a deeper red background for the active tab.

Is it too pink? The colours used in the brochure are deep red and very very light red.

Cheers,

-steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

The colours used in the brochure are deep red and very very light red

Then 'branding' would suggest you use the same colours on the web site, wouldn't it?  The owner/client is hardly likely to say "I hate that deep red and very light red you used on our web site" ... unless they hate their brochure and there's a print job in the offing for you.

Hows this. Its a deep red/brown colour to it.

Am waiting to see if the person wants to go ahead with it before I start slicing it up.

Im not sure how Im going to style the in-text images yet.

Anyhoo....thanks for confirmation about the pink one  :)

-steve

[attachment deleted by admin]

I prefer the new color, but it needs to be toned down a little.  I also think the header and text size are way too big. Everything is also bold which doesn't look good. I would also decrease the drop shadow used. I assume the menu will have a rollover state, maybe add that in for us to see what it will look like. I'm also not sure about the chain link fence in the background.  When I picture a chain link fence I see a construction site with a quick fence thrown up around it.  It comes off as cheap and not very elegant to me. Just my $.02

Jcombs: Re. the chain link fence: Im of the same opinion that it doesnt look great for a fencing co! But...its all over their catalogue as a background. As for the bold - that may just be my fireworks skills. The main text wont be bold at all. I know it shows up v.bold in the image. As for rollovers - aye - the Nav and the 3 images will have a rollover effect. Lastly - re. size of header and shadow - I went a bit OTT there alright!

Ober: ya...Im not great working with red colors at all. Blues work out easier.

Cheers for the thoughts - much appreciated.

I dont know when I will have the xhtml version done - want to make sure the colours and layout are ok'd first.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.