WebAXiSS

AXiSS

It is a search engine where users submi their site and choose the description, instead of a spider. Like a URL database, but geared like a search engine, or at least that is what my final goal is. It is still under construction, I need to add quite a bit, but I would like a critique on the design, not the functionality, right now.

Sig link fixed.

Anyway, I'd say at least half of the basic site content is yet to be made, including user profiles, site profiles, tools, and more. Right now the functionality is not great due to that missing and somewhat essential content, but I should have it done soon enough. Hopefully.  :-\

When you are about to submit a new link, you are asked to add a generated meta-tag on the page you are submitting - sorry to say this but i doubt anyone at all would bother to do that (even if it is just for a one time validation or whatever..)

Other than that i like the overall looks, still i find some problems in believing that this would appeal to the mass-submitting you would need in order for it to be even close to a handy search tool.

I'm relatively new to PHP, and this is my first major PHP project. So a lot of stuff I would like to do I can't quite accomplish yet. Which leaves the cheap and not so good thing you see right now...

The Meta Tag is the best way I could think of to verify the submitee as owner or webmaster of the site. I'm trying to seperate myself from URL Databases, where anyone can just come and submit something, so I want to credit specific users to what they submit. As I figure out a profiles system, I hope to kind of form a community of webmasters, as well as other people.

I also have quite a few features in mind users might find attractive, I just need to figure out the implementation of those features.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a search engine where users submit their site and choose the description, instead of a spider.

This is completely crazy! If you become popular and have people submit there own descriptions of websites to your database, then all that it will return is the top websites with the matching keywords! How is this any better than the old (primate) google and other search engines? You are wasting your time.

Okay, I'll explain. The old google used to calculate page ranking by meta keywords. Your serach is the same exact thing. Webmasters put in keywords and depending on the most relevant keyword that search comes up. Its nothing good about that. It means that if you get popular, websites will only compete for the best keywords and optimize to that. As google and all other search engines have proved this, it is a horrible way to search for websites.

I know you are trying to make it "webmaster submitted" but you have to understand that if you ever get millions of websites on your site, than only the top keyword optimized sites would be searched and found. So  it simply becomes like the old google. I just don't like it. Try making the search something more than keyword based and I then I would like your site.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.