Apollo: Developing for the desktop with web technology

zq29

Apollo is the code name for a cross-operating system runtime being developed by Adobe that allows web developers to use their existing skills to build and deploy  Internet applications to the desktop that combine the benefits of web applications – network and user connectivity, rich media content, ease of development, and broad reach – with the strengths of desktop applications – application interactions, local resource access, personal settings, powerful functionality, and rich interactive experiences.

Apollo is currently in alpha with support for HTML, JavaScript and Flash - There is basic support for AJAX with more coming in v1.0 no doubt. The alpha currently is only supported on Windows and OS X although Linux will be supported shortly after the release of 1.0, this has something to do with the latest Flash player not being finished for Linux, or something.

So I guess this works in a similar way to Java in that it's machine-independent, although less powerful no doubt but with a smaller resource footprint one would hope. This looks like one to keep an eye on. Check it out here.

although Linux will be supported shortly after the release of 1.0, this has something to do with the latest Flash player not being finished for Linux, or something.

The Flash 9 player is indeed finished for Linux, maybe they're creating another one specially for Apollo?

I'm worried about the web's migration to Flash layouts and websites. I'm not quite sure that the world is ready for it, with a solid amount of people still on dialup and with computers that may not be able to handle it. Or maybe this is the thing that will prompt people to upgrade their internet service and buy a better computer? At any rate, this does look like something that might have a big role in the future.

The Flash 9 player is indeed finished for Linux, maybe they're creating another one specially for Apollo?
Oh really? Was this a recent development? I only got that particular bit of information from a video interview with the chief software architect for Apollo - Either that, or I wasn't listening properly ;)

Personally, I'm not a fan of Flash based web layouts either - It's great for fun little animations but I find it's use in layouts a pain in the arse. I don't want to watch a button f'in bounce about, flash and play a sound before I can click on it, I just want to get to the bloody page it links to - I guess that's not Flashes fault, but the developers, I'm sure it can be done tastefully but then whats the point in using Flash? Just use CSS... Meh.

Flash 9 has been released for Linux for quite some time and has been available as a beta release for even longer time. I'm not quite sure when final was released though. I too also hate Flash based layouts, but Flash is useful for other things that aren't specifically related to the layout of the design. That could be media players of the type seen in services like YouTube or Google Video. IMO Flash based layouts are sort of like Web 1.0-RC2 where everything had to look really fancy with lots of effects.

The Gentoo package repository (Portage) has had Flash 9 since October 19, 2006, albeit in a beta form. As of Jan 17, 2007, the stable Flash 9 was in the Portage tree, and the Gentoo developers are usually about two weeks slow in adding packages to the tree. Flash of any version is only available for x86, although you can use it on amd64 via a pre-compiled 32-bit binary of your favorite browser.

agreed. I appreciate Flash for making people think outside the box, but it's like "yesterdays AJAX" - everyone wants to use it, even if they dont quite know why.

I'm a huge fan of DHTML these days. Coupled with AJAX and other bits and pieces, you can do some blinding stuff with it. Ok, not as slick/smooth as Flash - but at least it still retains some of the simplistic charm.

So I love the idea, and may even have a good play around with it. But if there was a complete, all in one LAMP/WAMP + mootools/scriptaculous + whatever runtime package available (for ALL users, not just developers who know how to setup a local server), that could interract just as well locally as well as with the server, and as easy to install as Flash player, then I'd be a taker for definite, especially with some of the bits i'm working on right now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.