Your opinion

LiamProductions

I say its all three.

I'd say calling someone nerdy because they can write a PHP script is like calling someone nerdy because they can cut hair properly, or nerdy because they can play football.

It's an interest like anything else and like everything else, takes practice to become good.

My  opinion is people call people coders nerdy because they can't make web apllications and they want too  :P

That's a pretty stupid opinion (no offense).  That's like me saying strippers are sexy because I want to get up on stage and shake my ass and look good doing it.  People call other people nerdy because they're socially backwards or far too engrossed in programming or techy related things.  Not always because they have the same aspirations as that "nerd".

Definately nerdy. Most my mates refer to me (lovingly) as super nerd because of my obsession with Linux & programming. They all play computer games (I don't) however, according to them, I'm the nerd.

You have to understand that it wasn't always this way. I'm only a fairly recent computer type guy. For 15 years I played in rock bands. And we did live the typical rock n roll lifestyle. I didn't have a job for a good 5 years or so and we toured the country quite a bit playing shows and getting pretty f*cked up.

Of course, those days are long behind me, I don't mind being refered to as a nerd. Deep down though.... if only I where young again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.