Perl or PHP for building a bot.

lilman

in case of CLI programms there is not any big difference of speed in any language.

Actually, PHP is very slow when compared to other cli tools, Bash, Perl, Python and Ruby.

I actually meant you cant understand the difference in CLI coding as the difference is too less. Ya if you implement some big algo's like AES then you might see the difference.

I actually meant you cant understand the difference in CLI coding as the difference is too less. Ya if you implement some big algo's like AES then you might see the difference.

I would disagree. Ive written quite a number of small scripts in PHP and another (either Python or Bash) language and the PHP versions have always been noticeably slower. Not to say its unuasable, I just don't think the cli is PHP's strong point.

I would disagree. Ive written quite a number of small scripts in PHP and another (either Python or Bash) language and the PHP versions have always been noticeably slower. Not to say its unuasable, I just don't think the cli is PHP's strong point.

May be This varies on Systems if you have a High end PC you cant understand the difference.

and I'vnt did so big coding as I did in PHP in Bash.

YOu might be right

after all PHP is an interpreted language.

but I cant remember I've read in a book (long time ago) that PHP is faster than Perl .

Django , in my opinon, is the best framework out there and I mean for any language.

Yeah I have played with Django a little myself and did really liked it. Though I ended up going back to PHP for web dev stuff for the moment. Mostly because I wanted to concentrate on learning Python outside of the web stuff. I will get back to it once I am more confident with my Python in general.

but I cant remember I've read in a book (long time ago) that PHP is faster than Perl .

I would also doupt that very much too, but I suppose it depends on the circumstance.

You could compile your cli version of PHP so as to only dynamicly load extensions (same way Python and Perl do it) this would probably make the initial script startup process quite a bit quicker than loading all extension on each execution even if its not used.

I have been playing with Python for about 4 or 5 months and so far I am really impressed with it. I also really like ruby but one of the biggest differences is the performance on windows systems. Which, unfortunately, I find my self doing most of my development on/for. Python is much faster and much easier on the server.

But the  big problem of Ruby is that its not C like coding Structure.

So it fails to impress a Coder who actually came from C / C++ background that much.

Bash is considerable in this case.although its not totally C like.

Yeah... I thought the same thing when I started playing with Python (probably 18 months ago), I really like curly braces!

Fortunately though you rather quickly realise there simply not needed and in fact once youv'e lived without them, you start to think such things are just getting in your way.

Ruby is another language I would love to get into, but yeah.... one at a time.

Speed or no speed get a better server and cha ching your scripts are faster than python's super powers!!

Perl is becoming outdated. Many developers that are starting out do php since its a lot easier and it has great support. Not like perl doesn't, but its just the times. I see a lot of scripts out in php, but when I type in perl, I don't get that many results. Its sorta like a trend, and sometimes its simply easier to go with the trend then worrying about an extra second to parse out the same information!!

My IMO.  :P

Ya I'm pretty sure everyone here knows that getting better hardware will make your computer run faster.

That's totally irrelevant though and using a faster language will still run faster then a slower one.

So.. which one is fastest for websites? o_O

So.. which one is fastest for websites?

I would think way too many variables come into that question to give any definative answer. I would suggest web application speeds depend highly on allot of different software working together. What language each application is written in may not play such an important role in the end.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.