Bite My Shiney Metal *** . . . Take 2

hcdarkmage

And they're off!

Manager has taken the lead, being hounded by Dealer.  Complaints has taken third, followed by Judgement and Logistics.  And taking up the rear is Programmer.

As much as I would love to carry on this way (horse races are . . . ~insert adjective here~), I don't see why the programmer gets blamed for algorithms that he did not create.  Once again, I am being dragged down by complaints of "not showing up often enough in your randomized ~insert program~."

Among other little tidbits, its bad enough when the company "Web Guru" (phah) decides that everything must be double-done.  Double databases, double sites, double work.  I'm not getting paid double, so why should I work double?

Ranting is a great way to make you feel better.  I just wish that this company would get their collective heads out of their *** (edited for the youngerly), and realize that I can only fix so many of the "Web Guru's" repetitive mistakes at this pay rate before its time to find a better offer.

Any one else have this issue . . . or is it just me?

Any one else have this issue . . . or is it just me?

I've never been through quite that magnitude of distress at work, but I've had my fair share of problems - I had three immediate superiors at work, so it was never a pretty picture. Each manager had a task for me to do that was "top priority", and none wanted to make concessions, so I'd end up inevitably disappointing one of them. And I know exactly what you mean about "time to find a better offer" - towards the end, I started looking for a new job, because I hated working there so much. I knew that I was either going to quit or be fired for a lack of enthusiasm and general apathy (it was the latter that did me in :P), so I figured I should probably get looking.

My advice: Take up freelancing on the side, or look for another job. Once you've gotten one or the other (or both, I suppose) put in your two weeks' notice and move on. (Sorry if that sounded curt.)

I don't see why the programmer gets blamed for algorithms that he did not create.  Once again, I am being dragged down by complaints of "not showing up often enough in your randomized ~insert program~."

Sounds simple. Test it yourself.  Log every generation of the random output that's allegedly not random.  Do your own analysis of the algorithm you were given.  Either you're right or you're wrong, and the log will prove it.

Log every generation of the random output that's allegedly not random.  Do your own analysis of the algorithm you were given.

Sounds like a TRUE engineer.  The problem I have is simple enough . . . The people complaining are just tight *** fuss buckets that don't want to listen to the very answer that was placed before them in the explanation of random.  'Nuff said.

I told them that "Random only generates random."  It works exactly like how they did it before the script was written.  All the names get thrown into a hat and pulled out one-by-one until the slots are filled.  The next time you go into it (or hit refresh) the SAME thing happens - all names are thrown back into the hat, and you are likely to get the same names picked.

Using this as my arguing front, I basically told them to take it up the tailpipe.  I am still happily working in the same place, with less hassles on the random generator.  Now if only the "Dealers" could here this explanation, my life would be that much simpler.

Ah!  Heres to dreaming of a hassle free future . . .

Sounds to me where they want a more controlled random sequence.

As part of a game I once wrote, I had to generate a 3D scrolling landscape that would go on indefinitely.  The landscape was mostly hilly with some water and once the hills got low enough it would appear to be all water.  My algorithm to generate heights used a random number generator that would eventually bottom out, causing long stretches of water.  In order to compensate, I kept track of how many numbers fell within a certain range and if there wasn't enough variation I would kick a set value into the system to push the terrain up.

Like loaded dice?

Well, there truly is no such thing as random in a computer, which I'm sure you're aware.  Consequently, random numbers will tend lean towards a specific area within the total range, especially when the total range is small, say 1 to 10 or 100.

You could argue it any way you wanted to, but to ensure a "normal" distribution over a certain range you would have to keep track of what is being generated and occasionally seed the generator.

Like loaded dice?

Well, there truly is no such thing as random in a computer, which I'm sure you're aware.  Consequently, random numbers will tend lean towards a specific area within the total range, especially when the total range is small, say 1 to 10 or 100.

You could argue it any way you wanted to, but to ensure a "normal" distribution over a certain range you would have to keep track of what is being generated and occasionally seed the generator.

Random is exactly that... random. I do understand what you mean, but it still gives satisfactory results.

Apparently whoever the OP is working for or with disagrees.

That, there, in itself is the point.  They don't listen to logic or reason, when the fate of the company is bent on complaints from "dealers" who don't believe that random is random.

I have not heard any complaints about this for a while (couple of days since original post), but I know that at the start of the next month, it will happen all over again.  Every month we evaluate which "dealers" belong in the generator, and which ones are to be removed.

As you can imagine, at the beginning of the month, some "dealer" gets miffed because his company doesn't show up as often and thinks that our company is playing favorites, thus I am handed another chunk of my ***.  This keeps up, I won't be able to sit, but at least I will be a few pounds lighter.  Makes me wish it was metal!

I am tired of explaining to my superiors that I cannot control the outcome of random.  They wanted random, they got random.  'Nuff said.

Now where did I put those want ads . . .

They don't listen to logic or reason, when the fate of the company is bent on complaints from "dealers" who don't believe that random is random.

Oh but they do, just not with the same rules that you or I are used to.  From a business perspective, minimal return on investment or money paid for services not rendered is illogical.

Are these dealers paying your company for advertising space or exposure?

Are these dealers paying your company for advertising space or exposure?

I wish.

The random "thing" (dealer Buy It Now) is a courtesy service to those that buy x amount of product a month.  They are "allowed" to be put in as a quick access to their website pages that have our stuff.  It drives consumers (since we don't sell the product directly) to the few dealers that have websites so they may purchase with convenience.

They don't pay for it.  They don't sponsor it.  They just get put in.

They figure that if they spend x amount, that should put them to the top of the list.  Our company does not like to show favoritism.  So, if they spend x amount, they are put into the proverbial hat, selected at random and placed in the list.

The "hat" seams to get larger every month, now that "dealers" know about how much is needed to get put into the top slots, but the slots don't get any larger.  Ten slots is the maximum.  Depending on the month x gets you into the top 8-9 slots while y gets you into the bottom 1-2 slots.

This month it is 9:1.  Who knows what next month brings.

Where did I put those ads???

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.