Listening To? Favorite Bands?

unsider

I'm not sure if there has been a topic like this before. Considering this board has been here a while, it's highly possible, but regardless, I'm curious.

What music do the members of this board listen to?

I'll start with some of my personal favorites:

Tool

Radiohead

NIN

Nirvana

Aphex Twin

Rage Against the Machine

Autechre

Sublime

Russian Circles

Sigur Ros

Let's hear um.

Hehe, it appears you have similar tatses to me. I'll add a few more.

Low

Shellac

Sebadoh

Slint

Fugazi

Proem

Squarepusher

Melvins

Mess Hall

Two Lone Swordsmen

Bjork

Kyuss

Bola

Deftones

Jesus Lizard

McLusky

Dinosaur Jr

Weezer

My current playlist has:

Justice

Bjork

Nine Inch Nails (the new Ghosts album - not quite what I was expecting, but well worth the $5.)

Pantera

Static-X

Depeche Mode

Fireball Ministry

Radiohead

And I've been known to binge on pieces by Johann Pachelbel and Edvard Grieg, as well as instrumentals from an amazing guitarist, Carlos Saura and French composer and artist Ehma. Rob Costlow is an amazing pianist, I highly recommend his work as well.

The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Ray Charles, Jimi Hendrix, Christina Aguilera, Rage Against the Machine, Talib Kweli, Avril Lavigne, Arctic Monkeys, Citizen Cope, The Roots, Stephen Lynch, The White Stripes, Oasis, Jurassic 5, Death Cab for Cutie, DJ Shadow, Maceo Parker, RJD2, Alicia Keys, Prince, Tenacious D, Easy Star Allstars, Radiohead, Air, Fenix TX, Black Sabbath

Nine Inch Nails (the new Ghosts album - not quite what I was expecting, but well worth the $5.)

I've never heard any of their other stuff, but I heard that this was an all instrumental album, so grabbed it (Why not, it's less than the cost of a pint). It's interesting... Not one track stood out to me though. Ok for background music, a little too much saw-tooth synth sounds for my liking, too harsh.

I agree it's certainly worth it, but it was a little disappointing. I probably held to high of a standard though, considering past work. I felt it lacked substance, a little too rushed possibly? I heard it was recorded and mixed within a scope of 6-7 months. 

Although I am thoroughly statisfied with Radiohead's latest ' In Rainbows '.

thorpe, I'm going to check out a few on you've listed, about 5 or so I've never heard of, but nearly identical tastes.

Wide genre scope in here.

Gotta admit I've got some Snoop Dogg, old style rap for those frustrating times coding/school work :D, always good to have some fun. 

What about some of the experimental stuff like pusifer?

I enjoyed that album more than I thought I would've, mainly because of the stuff they had put out prior to the album release/  I thought it was possible (not likely), but possible that they might create an album similar to the song "Country Boner" (which I did not like) - considering maynard's sense of humor.

Some of my favourite artists: Arctic Monkeys, Editors, The Cribs, The Rakes, The Shins, Cold War Kids, The Jam, Muse, The Killers, Art Brut, Kanye West, Daft Punk, Air, Jack Penate, Jamie T, Oasis, Blur, The Libertines...

Currently listing to Vampire Weekend's and Hot Chip's new albums quite a lot.

I guess most of my music falls into the indie/alternative genre, but i do like a bit of everything.

Not sure that I really know what genres things like Tool and Radiohead fall in, but I'd say my favorite has to be Electonic, and hate to use the term IDM. Similar to Aphex Twin, it just fascinates me.

I used to produce experimental electronic stuff. Its pretty old, but worth pointing out. hepburnenthorpe.

Not sure that I really know what genres things like Tool and Radiohead fall in, but I'd say my favorite has to be Electonic, and hate to use the term IDM. Similar to Aphex Twin, it just fascinates me.

I used to produce experimental electronic stuff. Its pretty old, but worth pointing out. hepburnenthorpe.

I really enjoyed your work, most of the time when people claim to produce I expect some trance-esque 4/4 hard kick garbage (not everyone, but in my experience), but you suprised me. I can see how aphex/autech, etc.. have influenced your work.

May I ask what DAW you used? Plug-ins, any details you'd want to share?

I haven't done anything for a long while but I used to use fruityloops with mostly native instruments svti's. Before that I was using trackers (fasttracker and then madtracker), but that was a long long time ago.

My car rides has been quite boring lately, so I decided to search for the best/favorite rap songs I could find, and I've almost accomplished my objective, but along the way I heard some TERRIBLE rap. Admittingly there is a lot of bad music out there, but woah, some of what I heard was certainly the worst.

And, that's pretty impressive. I had used Fruity Loops previous to Logic, and I'm suprised what sounds you can create with it. Given it's it's a pretty pofessional tool, it has a lot of drawbacks as with everything else too I suppose. Regardless, very nice, you need to pick that up again sometime. :D

Yeah, I'm planning on getting back into it when I move house, just don't have the room for it. I use a bit of hardware as well so....

If you like rap (I'm not a fan) and IDM you gotta checkout prefuse73. The album Vocal stuides and upbeat narritives is awesome, so is one word extenguisher.

• 3 months later...

It's been a while, and I normally wouldn't revive dead topics, but from the looks of it, no one has posted a similar topic. So if you guys don't mind, keep the discussion going.. :)

Besides I'm a strong believer of people who spend hours in front of a computer have been around the block and have some good music.

I'm always lookng for new artists. Found a few in the past few months.

Noisia

Black Sun Empire

Portishead

Photek

Apparat

Trentmoller

Amon Tobin

Bjork

Calyx and Teebee

Massive Attack

All worth atleast checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

^ wow I've only heard of a few of those bands, more people to check out. Thanks.

Found a few new bands (to me atleast):

Ulrich Schnauss

Silversun Pickups

Phace

Bungle

Calibre

Commix

D-Kay

Evol Intent

Frcition & Fabio

High Contrast

M83

Matrix and Futurebound

Teletextile

A lot of these artists are DnB, but a few are not.

Let's keep the discussion going. I know this isn't the place for music discussion, but I'm surprised that few people want to express their opinions, or add to the list.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.