Browsers

ignace

we webdevelopers know why...

No we don't...tell us why you are catering to all those versions please.  I'm really interested in knowing why you think you need to cater to IE 3.0 (or 4.01, or 5.01, or 5.5...) but not firefox 2, when firefox 3 was only recently released as a final.

FF2 on my laptop for testing, FF3 on this one for use.  IE 8 beta on this comp, and IE 6 on my laptop.

I don't care about any IE earlier than 6....  With 1 in 200 people using IE5*, I guess I should be worried about it, but...  I'm lazy ;p

*http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Someone mentioned IE8 beta - ummm NO.

IE8. I think IE8 is worse than IE5 - it seriously sucks at rendering basic css.

Although I understand why you would cater for IE6, I personally think it's unnecessary. Sometimes it's not about the people you lose, but how much work / quality you need to lose just to cater for them. Waste of resources.

This is my list:

IE7 and FF 2.0.0.15

If it works in FF it works in Opera and most likely in Safari. Then just check the minor problems in IE... not a big deal.

Someone mentioned IE8 beta - ummm NO.

Excuse my language, but...DAMNIT!

I was hoping they would get their shit together for IE8, atleast for css rendering, if nothing else...

I almost agree with FilmGod, if it looks ok in IE6, ( it's never going to look perfect in IE, how can it? ) and it functions properly I'd suggest just leaving it the way it is. You can only spend so much time redo-ing/hacking/commenting CSS to make it fit that pathetic excuse for a browser.

How can you possibly say it's unnecessary to cater for IE6 users. Irritating though it is, most statistics place IE6 usage at about 30%. I dont know about you, but i'd say 30% of people is quite a large chunk of people to ignore.

Lol... have you tried pointing your IE6 to phpfreaks.com?

How can you possibly say it's unnecessary to cater for IE6 users. Irritating though it is, most statistics place IE6 usage at about 30%. I dont know about you, but i'd say 30% of people is quite a large chunk of people to ignore.

Well that's different.  We're elitist jerks. The rules obviously do not apply to us.

Although you speak wise words, I am developing a website that will take over a year to release. By then that statistic will drop and those that still use it, will just have to feel the wrath of IE6's crap.

Although you speak wise words, I am developing a website that will take over a year to release. By then that statistic will drop and those that still use it, will just have to feel the wrath of IE6's crap.

May I ask what type of website you're building?

MS was supposedly going to adhere to W3C standards on IE8, but MS saying something doesn't actually mean they'll do it x.x.  I always use IE8 in IE7 mode, and if I want to make sure something looks decent in IE7, I have a comp with IE7.  I've been meaning to put 7 back on this comp, but haven't gotten around to it.  I can't stand 8.

Lol, good point. Unfortunately, i have. Damn school computers. Fortunately I wont ever have to go back there, but i'd be surprised if they upgrade to IE 7 anytime soon.

I think it would be reasonable to assume that 30% of phpfreaks' user base wouldn't be on IE6. I can't imagine too many people writing php but still using IE6. Do we keep any browser statistics?

I think it would be reasonable to assume that 30% of phpfreaks' user base wouldn't be on IE6.  I can't imagine too many people writing php but still using IE6. Do we keep any browser statistics?

Here you go... according to these stats, IE6 is 10.7%.

[attachment deleted by admin]

If it works in FF it works in Opera and most likely in Safari. Then just check the minor problems in IE... not a big deal.

That's laughable.

I ignore anything below IE6.  I have FF3 installed as well as Opera 9.5.  I mainly develop in FF now... used to be Opera.  Working in FF != always working in Opera.  You're more likely to have it working in FF if you develop in Opera.

I ignore Netscape unless a client specifically uses it to test (and they have).  Safari has only a slightly better market share than Opera so I don't even install it.

You have to take into account the number of IE6 visits that didn't happen because the layout is f-ed up in IE6...  :-X

Actually, the forums account for the vast majority of hits. It is by far the most popular thing on PHP Freaks. Moreover, the browser stats where roughly like that before we launched the site as well.

Also, it is viewable, albeit less pretty, in IE6 and in my opinion there is no valid reason to why you would not have upgraded to IE7 by now.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.