godaddy is so frustrating!

acidglitter

i can't stand godaddy and i would never use it with my own sites. but they're using it at my work so i have to here. for the last week, about every hour my ftp program gets disconnected at least 10 times. we're trying to have this site finished by the end of the week but its basically impossible because i can't stay connected. like right now as i type this, its already been 5 minutes waiting to upload one file (its only 10 kb)..... does anyone else ever have experiences like this with godaddy? and is there anything i can do to stop getting disconnected like crazy? or should i just try to talk them into switching servers??

Talk them into switching. And while you're at it, persuade them into getting a VPS or dedicated server so you can get some "real" hosting so you wont have to rely on insecure protocols such as FTP.

Edit:

Who still uses ftp? If you have shell access use scp instead to transfer any files you need.

agreed

Talk them into switching. And while you're at it, persuade them into getting a VPS or dedicated server so you can get some "real" hosting so you wont have to rely on insecure protocols such as FTP.

Edit:

Who still uses ftp? If you have shell access use scp instead to transfer any files you need.

agreed

(i'm in another decade i guess ^_^;;; )

could you tell me how a vps or dedicated server is different from a regular server? and i have no idea what shell or scp are so i'm looking those up right now....

A vps is a virtual private server. Its basically your own virtual machine within another. I wouldn't recommend it in a production environment unless you know what you are doing, but yeah, it gives you complete controll (and responibility) for every piece of software installed.

The problem may not be entirely their fault, although odds are good that they are contributing. You should first make sure that the problem isn't something on your end. Make sure that your client doesn't have any settings to disconnect after a certain period of time, and also make sure that the slow upload rate isn't because your upload pipe is full.

To make a long story short: Test with a different FTP server. If you see different (different = better) behavior, then you know the problem is in GoDaddy, and you should then decide if it's worth your time and effort to push for a hosting change. If you see the same behavior, then you know the problem is on your end, and you should try to track the problem down and get it fixed.

The problem may not be entirely their fault, although odds are good that they are contributing. You should first make sure that the problem isn't something on your end. Make sure that your client doesn't have any settings to disconnect after a certain period of time, and also make sure that the slow upload rate isn't because your upload pipe is full.

To make a long story short: Test with a different FTP server. If you see different (different = better) behavior, then you know the problem is in GoDaddy, and you should then decide if it's worth your time and effort to push for a hosting change. If you see the same behavior, then you know the problem is on your end, and you should try to track the problem down and get it fixed.

okay so i tried this on one of my sites, and it was just as slow. it might actually be our internet. but the ftp program i'm using expires in 4 days so i might just try using scp instead if i can figure that out.. what is it though..?

For the same price as Godaddy, you could also just get a more reliable host.

it has already been pretty much established that the issue is not godaddy, but the connection.

acidglitter:

filezilla is free (at least from a personal use perspective...dont know if there are different licenses for companies)

look into that.

Just out of curiousity...

Since we are on the topic of filezilla, which FTP applications  / alternatives do you guys collectively use?

I for one use Bulletproof FTP (it's not free, but once you buy it, you can keep downloading and using the newest version (but after the initial year of purchase is up, you'll need to pay a maintenance fee should you require support. I like it (have been using it for about 7 years now).

NRG

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.