Mine is bigger than yours

tibberous

No, this isn't the ePenis thing again :)

I just got a 25 inch monitor. It is unbelievably, awesomely nuts. It isn't just the size, it is the max res, 1920x1200. It is CRYSTAL clear. I liked my old because it could be bright without being washed out, but this one is sharp, REALLY sharp.

It's HDMI. It was $400, and it's plugged into a $150 video card, with a $9 cable, into a $250 mother board, that I bought just so I'd be able to plug it in. $150 gets me 2 digital ports, but only one HDMI, which mean that if I want another monitor, I need to buy another video card -- and you know what, that's really worth it! It is THAT much better than a 19 in. It IS worth it to get one. I understand now why Flash CS3 splits the screen into 12 windows, to properly use the space on a monitor that I didn't have!

So take back your Photoshop Disc, keep using Office 2000 Home and Student Edition, and make your boss give you $150 for your NewEgg receipt because it's a write off and he'll get that money "right back".

Yeah - though it does seem like almost any monitor you get today is going to be better than a monitor you got 2 years ago.

I was thinking about getting 2, 22 inch monitors for the same price, but I figured it would be like getting the two 512's instead of the gig. I'd love to have another one of these - but I'm really not sure if it's worth the price, almost seems like I'd be paying $600 to minimize less often (though having another SLI card would improve my graphics performance, which I never use because all I do is write PHP and Flash code on Windows XP)

the handy thing about more than one monitor is that you can keep constant references in each monitor - i developed on a dual setup once, and man was it amazing.  not only did it feel good, but man did it boost my productivity.  keep a manual/code reference on one, code screen on the other.  add a third for a constant test window, and you're in the money.

i can't stand developing on my laptop these days, but i haven't been able to warrant spending the time and money on getting a dual monitor setup going.

I was thinking about getting 2, 22 inch monitors for the same price, but I figured it would be like getting the two 512's instead of the gig. I'd

Actually, not to nit pick, but if I only intended to run 1GB of RAM I'd go two 512s on a mobo that supports dualchannelling.

The monitor sounds nice though. I like my 20 inch widescreen though. I don't recall its max rez.

I was thinking about getting 2, 22 inch monitors for the same price, but I figured it would be like getting the two 512's instead of the gig. I'd

Actually, not to nit pick, but if I only intended to run 1GB of RAM I'd go two 512s on a mobo that supports dualchannelling.

The monitor sounds nice though. I like my 20 inch widescreen though. I don't recall its max rez.

And you'd be right to do so, until it came time to upgrade, which was the point I was trying to make. Two, 22's would give a lot more total size, but then you wouldn't have an upgrade path, except to replace a monitor, or to get a 3rd one.

And you'd be right to do so, until it came time to upgrade, which was the point I was trying to make. Two, 22's would give a lot more total size, but then you wouldn't have an upgrade path, except to replace a monitor, or to get a 3rd one.

Ok. Makes sense. That's why I said "if I only intended to run 1GB of RAM". If I thought I'd ever want to upgrade, obviously I'd get the 1GB. Or if its DDR2 I'd probably just jump up to 2-4 GB right away since its so cheap now. 4GB of 800Mhz for $100 with heatsink is often available on canadacomputers.com. Obviously monitors can't exactly use the "cheap" excuse though.

*edit* aparently you can get 4GB 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM for $20 more. Not bad.

I have all of the applications I'll ever need running right now: Firefox, mpd + ncmpc, gvim, urxvt + screen, claws-mail, and sunbird. Grand total memory usage? 510 MB. I have never seen it go above ~700 MB. I laugh in the general direction of anybody who needs more than 1024 MB of memory. :P

I have all of the applications I'll ever need running right now: Firefox, mpd + ncmpc, gvim, urxvt + screen, claws-mail, and sunbird. Grand total memory usage? 510 MB. I have never seen it go above ~700 MB. I laugh in the general direction of anybody who needs more than 1024 MB of memory. :P

I agree with this to a certain extent, but when I'm running apps like Logic Pro, or other FLS through Parallels things can get pretty heavy, but I never really go beyond 1G, it's just nice to have some breathing room, so I've got 2MB, simply because it was only like $30 more for the 2GB.  So why not?

But the 4GB for the gamers is pretty extreme, but hell, if you want/can afford it. Why not, it's your happiness.

As for my moniter, I only have a nice 22', but I plan to get another 22' after I pay for some other things, it falls pretty low on my list of importance. It'd make using DAWs a hell of a lot easier, as well as flash, photoshop, and the like..

Maybe I'll have to push it up a little more on my list.

I agree with this to a certain extent, but when I'm running apps like Logic Pro, or other FLS through Parallels things can get pretty heavy, but I never really go beyond 1G, it's just nice to have some breathing room, so I've got 2MB, simply because it was only like $30 more for the 2GB.  So why not?

I actually have a new machine here with 8G of memory constantly idling at around 10% (840mg). I do however run several (11 at the moment) vps's within this host system. Most of which are running a combintaion of services such as apache, mysql, postgres and bind.

Have you ever seen a computer's resource stats while running Vista?  It's ridiculous.

I'm using 1.42GB right now, and I have Apache, MySQL, MSSQL, MIRC x3, Firefox with about 10 tabs, and some other random, small stuff running.

svchost x2, and dwm are using 469MB combined.  If I ever need more RAM, I just make Vista plain.  lol.  God I hate Vista.

Oh, my screen?  It owns.  Compaq FS7600.  A 17" CRT screen.

Dual/triple screen setup sounds like it would do me a lot of good based on akitchin's post...  Hrmmm....

Have you ever seen a computer's resource stats while running Vista?  It's ridiculous.

No, and I hope I never have to - but I've heard plenty of stories. :) (For the most part, those are the people in whose direction I'm laughing.)

Dual/triple screen setup sounds like it would do me a lot of good based on akitchin's post...  Hrmmm....

It's fantastic. I have two 19" 4:3 screens for work, and I'm going to add a 22" widescreen for widescreen movies. I absolutely love it. Once you get into the habit of using multiple displays, it's uncomfortable (understatement?) to revert to one display.

Dual monitors? Why would I need that? I'm running compiz fusion!

I've used compiz, and as cool as it is visually, it's just not the same. I think it's safe to say that your computing experience will improve drastically by using multiple displays.

(I still have compiz installed, although I haven't tested it recently, so it may have broken with the updates I've applied to my system. I really only have it to show skeptics that linux is actually capable of some really cool stuff.)

Compiz and Compiz Fusion aren't in the same boat IMO, but yeah, I'll agree two mons has gotta be productive.

I have a few pretty cool tricks working with CF though, being able to see one window through the other comes in handy but the biggest plus is the sheer amount of configurations that are possible. Ive keyboard shortcuts for everything. The only time I use my mouse is when Im on the web.

I failed to mention that my 20 inch acer is plugged into my laptop so I also run dualscreen lol. Although the size is quite different and I had to adjust the location of the second screen to account for them being at different levels but its in the right spot now. Its so much nicer to develop stuff with two screens. I usually have the files open on the laptop screen and the browsers/chat windows on the monitor, but only because that's closest to the taskbar so its easier to switch between multiple files. I may reorient my desk and have the monitor on the left and my laptop on the right and make my monitor the default screen to get more real estate on the one I use for the open text files, since I have more of them open then I do browsers/chat windows. Hmm. Just dawned on me lol.

I wouldn't mind getting a second screen though, even if it is just to use as the default screen to my PowerMac. I have to crawl around whenever I want to use it to plug the Acer in, thus, losing the DS of my laptop. Boo.

No, and I hope I never have to - but I've heard plenty of stories. :) (For the most part, those are the people in whose direction I'm laughing.)

It's fantastic. I have two 19" 4:3 screens for work, and I'm going to add a 22" widescreen for widescreen movies. I absolutely love it. Once you get into the habit of using multiple displays, it's uncomfortable (understatement?) to revert to one display.

understatement, definitely.  you alt+tab about 75% less, and going back to a single monitor you totally lose your fluidity at alt+tabbing, which is really the only way to develop on one monitor.

also, hear hear on the hoping to never have to.  i will cling to XP like a booger on a humid day.

I miss XP every single day.  I actually have XP on my laptop, but blerh.

Compiz and Compiz Fusion aren't in the same boat IMO, but yeah, I'll agree two mons has gotta be productive.

I have a few pretty cool tricks working with CF though, being able to see one window through the other comes in handy but the biggest plus is the sheer amount of configurations that are possible. Ive keyboard shortcuts for everything. The only time I use my mouse is when Im on the web.

Ah, I meant Compiz Fusion.  I didn't realize there was a such thing as just Compiz.  Hehe.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.