If you'd like a laugh..

Adam

they had to import LITERALLY DOZENS of customer records from an SQLdatabase into a spreadsheet. We managed to do this quite easily byclicking the mouse for a few hours together, setting the ODBC driversup using heaps of helpful GUI tools.

That's the funniest part, literally dozens...

Are you saying that this linux can run on a computer without windows underneath it, at all ?

What...?

This is Jerry Lee Cooper’s Un-Offical Fan Site

JerryLeeCooper is a net guru with a internet cult following rivaled only by Bill Gates him self.

Jerrys insight is often mocked but his wisdom is well beyond his years and will go down in history as one of the nets leading authorities.

Microsoft offers lower costs than Linux

April 18th, 2008

JerryLees response to:

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2003-09-17-013-26-NW-DP-SV&tbovrmode=1

JerryLee: This is a rather short sighted move on the part of RedSherriff, Id say.

So, they have managed to save a few measly pounds on software licensesover a short term, and they are gloating about savings ?

Waittill the end of the month, when it becomes obvious that this radicalshift from a stable, integrated, GUI enabled MS-SQLServer to someshareware database system opens up a big set of new costs - as all theusers of this database need to be re-trained.

In the case ofshareware databases such as postgresql and mysql (both cheap clones ofthe original SQL, invented by Bill Gates in his Mum’s garage during hisyears at college - heck mysql even had to steal the name from MSSQL),you will find that there is no GUI at all. This makes them impossiblydifficult to operate - the re-training costs will be huge. Justthe other day, I helped an enterprise client do some work in MSSQL -they had to import LITERALLY DOZENS of customer records from an SQLdatabase into a spreadsheet. We managed to do this quite easily byclicking the mouse for a few hours together, setting the ODBC driversup using heaps of helpful GUI tools. We then managed to get thespreadsheet to AUTOMATICALLY TOTAL all of the postcodes for thecustomer records, and even calculate the AVERAGE of the postcodes.

Try doing THAT with your little shareware database !! Hmmph !

Face it - Microsoft offers lower costs than Linux, as has been PROVENtime after time. When will these shareware guys just give it up ? 

I'm 99% sure, but just to be 100% sure, that was all sarcasm, right?

You know what's even funnier, the comments people left.  Check out this one:

#  Charles Xavier Says:

January 24th, 2008 at 1:29 pm

I have to disagree with you. The Linux actually works best on 750 MHz, and even 1GHz may be enough to create virus. Beware of using the Linux on Microsoft XP or Vista, as the Linux replaces important files with Communist propaganda. Never trust the open source pirates with your computer.

I think this guy is actually being serious...  scary  :o

Hybrid cars are a plot do destroy oil industry, and vegetarians want to cripple cattle producers. Simple

Oh silly me, how could I have been so naive :P

Obviously the facts that hybrid cars would pump an awful lot of money into the motor industry and vegetarians support other farmers are irrelevant.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.