phpfreaks IE style issues

gevans

I've been advised by a friend** (that I suggested the site to) that the phpfreaks.com pages don't display properly in IE. (the forum's fine)

Please see attached .jpg for the issues in IE6

Also there is a problem with the footer in IE7

**I'm using FF3 (site looks lovely)

[attachment deleted by admin]

As mentioned many times in many topics, PHP Freaks will only officially support browsers that adhere adequately to W3C standards concerning interpretation of (X)HTML and CSS markup. We will also only support the newest version of a browser and it is thus the users' own responsibility to keep the software installed on their computer updated. Browsers that do not fit this description yet renders the website correctly anyway is just a lucky side-effect. Users should, however, still use a standards compliant and updated browser.

That being said, I don't see any footer problems in IE7.

As mentioned many times in many topics, PHP Freaks will only officially support browsers that adhere adequately to W3C standards concerning interpretation of (X)HTML and CSS markup. We will also only support the newest version of a browser and it is thus the users' own responsibility to keep the software installed on their computer updated. Browsers that do not fit this description yet renders the website correctly anyway is just a lucky side-effect. Users should, however, still use a standards compliant and updated browser.

That being said, I don't see any footer problems in IE7.

Its easier to say get a proper browser :P

I had a feeling that would probably be the answer, I also did a search to see if I could find any similar threads, which I couldn't. Though I'm guessing it won't get fixed (following your previous comments) attached is a screenshot of the tutorials home page with the footer problem in IE7.

Only brought it up because I couldn't find other comments on this topic. I use a

proper browser

so have no issues

;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe we should put one of those "Upgrade your browser for a better viewing experience" messages for IE6 users?

That's what I ended up doing for mine...

I refuse to support IE 6 (or less). I use a redirect, thus people using antiquated IE versions will not be able to browse the site.

Maybe we should put one of those "Upgrade your browser for a better viewing experience" messages for IE6 users?

I refuse to support IE 6 (or less). I use a redirect, thus people using antiquated IE versions will not be able to browse the site.

Just of curiosity, is that what you do with client's websites?  With IE6 still having a significant usage, I would be quite pissed if I were a client and you did that on my site.  I understand entirely though.  I hate IE in general, especially IE where version <= 6.

Just of curiosity, is that what you do with client's websites?  With IE6 still having a significant usage, I would be quite pissed if I were a client and you did that on my site.  I understand entirely though.  I hate IE in general, especially IE where version <= 6.

No, this is just my own personal project. If I were to develop for a client however, the circumstances could be extremely different, (especially if the client wanted to cast a wider net to include browsers like IE 6 - which is understandable).

My rationale to all this is that IE 7 has been out for a while now (and 8 purportedly due to exit Beta within the first half of '09 - unless that has changed), there isn't a true need for IE 6 anymore. To boot, there are more (and better) browsers available out there. Had there been less browsers and thus IE 6's browser share been much greater than it is today, this would be enough for me to build in support of it..

Thankfully, IE's stranglehold on the web is loosening more than ever before, and I for one personally don't foresee them gaining much (if any at all) back.

No, this is just my own personal project. If I were to develop for a client however, the circumstances could be extremely different, (especially if the client wanted to cast a wider net to include browsers like IE 6 - which is understandable).

My rationale to all this is that IE 7 has been out for a while now (and 8 purportedly due to exit Beta within the first half of '09 - unless that has changed), there isn't a true need for IE 6 anymore. To boot, there are more (and better) browsers available out there. Had there been less browsers and thus IE 6's browser share been much greater than it is today, this would be enough for me to build in support of it..

Thankfully, IE's stranglehold on the web is loosening more than ever before, and I for one personally don't foresee them gaining much (if any at all) back.

Ahhh...

I don't mind IE7 much...  Well, not as much as IE6.  I want IE6 to die.  Painfully.

I don't mind IE7 much...  Well, not as much as IE6.  I want IE6 to die.  Painfully.

Best comment on this thread thus far. I concur.

You get the pitch fork, I'll round up the morning star, and say we each take a turn on old number 6...

Why prevent them from viewing it. There might be people who cannot upgrade. Just let them view the broken page. The content can still be read, it'll just look uglier.

...There might be people who cannot upgrade...

Well, there's always Opera (which I tend to be using right now, on my older PC using Win 2000 (my laptop's harddrive which has XP on it kind of bit the dust, so I have to resort to this for now).. or there's Firefox..There are choices.. I wouldn't imaging too many people out there who cannot migrate to another browser (perhaps some people at work). But at the end of the day, 'en masse', it really is time for people to let go of IE 6 IMO.

Besides, my site doesn't receive high traffic, nor is it as important as say an online banking website.

There are choices..

Not if your workplace's/school's IT dept says otherwise.

Ah, but that is where you are wrong my friend. It is called portable Firefox! http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable

Simply install it on your flash drive, and you can install your favorite add ons and save your favorite bookmarks just as you would on any normal version of Firefox.

Plug the drive into the nearest usb port and away you go!

Personally, I want support internet explorer. If it works at all, it is massively flawed. In fact, I think the only reason the introduced tabbed browsing is because they where jealous of every other browser in existence. So, they hatched a plan. They would introduce tabbed browsing in IE7 and make it so miserable, that people would hate it. They would then release IE8 without tabs. Then people wouldn't want a tabbed browser and stay with internet explore.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, they underestimated the intelligence of their users, as they often do, and now realize that if they introduce IE8 without tabbed browsing, their users would look for a different browser. They are consequently behind with the introduction of IE8, because now they feel that if they don't make their tabbed browser compare with other operating systems, their users would once again contemplate a different browser...

They have always been behind the other browsers though. In fact, I bet IE wouldn't even exist had microsoft not made IE mandatory way back in the day. They where fighting a loosing uphill battle there. Why cant their browser conform to the W3C standards? That really urinates me off! Any "nice" site that displays right in IE almost always looks bad in any other browser. You know, I bet they do that on purpose too... Try and make people think it is all the other browsers in the world that suck....

OK, I'm done ranting.... I have Java to do!

And if a school/business doesn't allow USB drives or foreign software?

Also, I don't think MS makes IE suck on purpose.  I mean they have to have realized by now that it sucks, but you've got to remember that the average IE user barely knows that anything else is even out there.  Also, I don't think they have some conspiracy about tabs lol.  I would have to see support for that one before I would believe it.  I don't see why MS would oppose tabs.