legal issue

serverman

Ok what kind of legal issues can I run into for this. first let me be clear i havent done it. But ok I made batch files that turn off all the monitoring tools on the school computer and also on that re enables CMD and then a batch file that makes an admin user. then i put i .txt file with how to remove deep freeze off the computer. plus how to set up circumventor so you are no longer filtered with websense so you can do what ever you want. ok well now say i sold this Info to a friend with a clause that says that i sold it to him with out knowing what he will use it for or why he bought it and I have no responsibly for his actions.

Can i run into legal issues here... there is no software to harm the pc or the school net work.

yeah i thought it would be like that well he isnt stupid just tell him pages on the web to find out how to do it him self its all out there like first 5 pages on google just have to know what to look for  anyone can do it and its easy to do. I did it under the Watch of the school IT guy to show him how crappy his lock down is on the PC lol we was dumbfounded that it only took 2 mins to undo every thing but  deep freeze (it took an hour and a half just because of the way it works).

also i could have shown him how to lock them down better but why would i do that :P

I remember back in college I was able to download two tools from the school computer I was using and have an admin account in a matter of minutes....that was my response to their "our systems are secure, good luck trying comment".  The department I was working in part time challenged the IT department when they made that comment.  They were not amused lol

lol ours is decently secure, but strict. They told me if I go and jack around with the system, then I will be banned from all the labs. So I have not even messed with it. Until I taught everyone about proxies, then they starting logging the history from everyone.. lol

Our department head was a college staff member who had been trying to tell IT that their system was not secure.  The department head was standing right next to us, along with one of the deans LOL.  Nothing like hacking your college network with the sanction of its staff lol

lol ours is decently secure, but strict. They told me if I go and jack around with the system, then I will be banned from all the labs. So I have not even messed with it. Until I taught everyone about proxies, then they starting logging the history from everyone.. lol

My school's handbook is hilarious on the subject....  It basically says, "We aren't sure if everything is good, so if you mess with something, we won't be down with it."  lol

Back when I was in high school I snuck into our tech's office when he was out and used a program called 'SAMinside' (or something like that) to get his password hash.  The school was using Novell so his windows logon info was also his server logon info.  His password turned out to be zaq123 (took like 3 mins to crack it).  The next day I remote controlled a teacher's computer, disabled her screen, and blasted Shakira - Hips Don't Lie wirelessly from my laptop.  I miss those days.

(I was already quite familiar with the novell client and server software as I had an internship at another local school with the same setup)

lol ok so i did one more demo for the it guy because of chrisdburns post about the wifi it just got me thinking :P

ok everyone has a jump drive and we all use them in all our labs and stuff because of deepfreeze. well OH the power of jumpdrives (linux ISO password hacking, virus, ect) well ok so its after school and i told him i have on last demo for him.

download Vbasic 2008(i have never used vbasic in my life but i have used qbasic and Vc) the syntax is easy to pick up i kinda like now that i am playing with it a lil.

then i google keylogger vbasic2008 and find a site on how to make in like the first 3 (its a crappy key logger shows the log on the screen and doesn't save it to a file.) but just as easy as i found that i found how to save the text box as a txt file and how to  hide the screen. then i google emailing text in VB2008 and find that really fast (takes me like 30 mins to make a key logger in a lang i never used in my life. now a make a auto run file and put it on a flash drive and walk up to his pc in plugged it in and it installed its self on his HDD and booted right up (i also showed him how to remove it  plus it was emailing the log to himself)

but still get a kick out of how lame our lock down is .... my fav is

a.bat

start
start
start
a.bat
a.bat

This crashes the pc after about 1 min 20 sec it just wastes all the ram starting CMD and then opening its self and going into a loop

But yeah all are schools crap is on XP and the school website is on windows server 2003 and he FTP logs in to edit it and you can FTP in from anywhere you dont have to be in school and school pcs dont have a log book we have to write name on or anything  plus we have a wireless network... oh the fun i could have with a keylogger but i do like staying in school and getting to graduate in a  year so i have to be good :P

Ok what kind of legal issues can I run into for this. first let me be clear i havent done it. But ok I made batch files that turn off all the monitoring tools on the school computer and also on that re enables CMD and then a batch file that makes an admin user. then i put i .txt file with how to remove deep freeze off the computer. plus how to set up circumventor so you are no longer filtered with websense so you can do what ever you want. ok well now say i sold this Info to a friend with a clause that says that i sold it to him with out knowing what he will use it for or why he bought it and I have no responsibly for his actions.

Can i run into legal issues here... there is no software to harm the pc or the school net work.

It was for education purposes, wasn't it? ;)

I love the illusion of security.  Back when I first started "higher education" I decided I wanted to go to a specialty school to become a MCSE.  There were some smart people there; our class computers and lab computers were locked down pretty well with group policies, web filtering, no external drivers, not even a run button etc.. and what not..

Well, long story short I ended up using windows help (f1) to browse to task scheduler link (via help topics) to create a new scheduled task that ran Remote Desktop a minute later.  Nothing like the freedom of your own remote pc.

frankly, writing scripts and runarounds to avoid the setups at schools is just plain immature. they have them in place for a reason, and they have the right to do so since it's their hardware and their connection. if they felt you needed access to get your schoolwork done, you would have access.

if you want free reign on the connection and computer, buy your own and pay for your own connection.

frankly, writing scripts and runarounds to avoid the setups at schools is just plain immature. they have them in place for a reason, and they have the right to do so since it's their hardware and their connection. if they felt you needed access to get your schoolwork done, you would have access.

if you want free reign on the connection and computer, buy your own and pay for your own connection.

I bring my laptop to school everyday. I still have their web tools filtering the content i can access on the internet - I use their free wifi. Can someone tell me how FTP port 80 is a security risk. I still don't understand!!!

I bring my laptop to school everyday. I still have their web tools filtering the content i can access on the internet - I use their free wifi. Can someone tell me how FTP port 80 is a security risk. I still don't understand!!!

let's assume you upload a malicious file or script on another machine while at the school, using their connection. that gets tracked back to them if it's followed, and then they have to spend a lot of time (which = $) and headache to try and finger the individual, or just take the blame as a whole. neither ends well for them.

granted it's unlikely, but most schools would rather play the CYA game than deal with issues as they arise.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.