Ip address of a computer behind a router

xstevey_bx

not possible at all, the addresses behind a router are internal addresses and cant be routed at all unless if they are mapped onto the router and represented as a whole bunch by that single router ip address which u r able to detect.  The ONLY way I know of getting behind an ip address which is not a router is by  forwarding certain ports - something usually down on firewalls and then access your inside PC remotely using programs like putty. 

I am creating an online game which requires people to log on from as many different ip addresses as they can.

In large networks such as the ones in colleges and universities it would be handy if I could record the ip address of the individual computer rather than the one ip address for the router that every computer is connected to.

I will look into the javascript method and see if that will be of any use. Thanks

If you can, you probably have to use an ActiveX control to do it. Which the user has to allow to be installed. I am not sure, cause I have never been able to do it, nor have I really looked. But with an activex control allowed by the user I am sure it is possible.

Is it possible to use PHP to detect the IP of a particular computer behind a router?

Just now im using

$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']

But it seems to only detect the routers IP address

Networking Basics to be honest. NO external host can see the internal network IP of a person's machine unless the person specifically allows it, e.g ActiveX control.

I am creating an online game which requires people to log on from as many different ip addresses as they can.

In large networks such as the ones in colleges and universities it would be handy if I could record the ip address of the individual computer rather than the one ip address for the router that every computer is connected to.

I will look into the javascript method and see if that will be of any use. Thanks

What in the world kind of game is that? Log on from as many IPs as possible. It almost sounds to me like a hacking/cracking ploy. Could you please elaborate on the actual gameplay of this game.

True that, but the OP said this game requires people to log on from as many IPs as they can.  It's just worded so oddly.  I mean, what's gonna happen if you log in from the same IP twice? Does it restrict you access until you find a new one?  Do you get points for every new IP? Why would you make a game getting people to collaboratively collect IPs?  It's as if you were making a pretend online computer census......which would explain the need for private IPs.

The only way you'll get these private IPs is if you can get software installed behind the router of a user and then have it send the information back.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.