Polls Everywhere?

gevans

I've noticed a few polls popping up recently that are completely pointless to the extent that I wonder why the user wasted their time making it a poll, it's not even a poll there is no question or answer. Look at this thread as an example CLICKY. Here we have a post with a poll... The poll's title and the two poll options contain the same text and is a complete waste of space. Also the [ code] [ /code] tags haven't been used which is hugely annoying but not the case at hand.

Is there a way of disabling polls in certain forums? As far as general discussion goes they're fine, but when you're asking for help in a forum there is no great reason to have a poll. I mean, I guess someone could come along and say;

"I have two pieces of code to do the same thing, which one do you think is best?"

But still it's slightly pointless to put that to a vote without people explaining why one way is better than the other.

Have you ever considered disabling polls before? I've been using the forum on a daily basis for a number of months and have never come across a poll that is really a poll. Most don't even have a question...

That would be hugely appreciated, I both help and get helped here, and it's amazing the little things that can put you off reading someones post...

• Stupid Titles (e.g. 'Please Help' or 'Need this sorted today')
  • Pointless Polls (Starting my page with scrolling)
  • No [ code] tags

I'm stopping the list now because this is just turning into a rant, but you get the idea

I think this thread should have had a poll asking if we like polls.

lol, now that would have been classic.

But I agree, thanks for disabling it, as it is annoying.

Although, it could be a sort of filtering system, if they have a poll that is gibberish, they must be a bot, and thus we do not need to reply! :) Could be a spam filtering system...except spammers know better than to make a poll...

I've noticed a few polls popping up recently that are completely pointless to the extent that I wonder why the user wasted their time making it a poll, it's not even a poll there is no question or answer. Look at this thread as an example CLICKY. Here we have a post with a poll... The poll's title and the two poll options contain the same text and is a complete waste of space. Also the [ code] [ /code] tags haven't been used which is hugely annoying but not the case at hand.

If you check my original post you'll see that this isn't a bot (it may be child, but a child with slight php knowledge).

A person may have been making replies later in the threads, but a bot certainly could have started them.

If you're refering to my example

[*]There are no replies

[*]You cannot start a poll when replying to a poll (only when creating the thread)

Definetly a person

I'm quite sure it's a person as well. First of all, it wouldn't make sense that a bot would ask for a question. There aren't even any external links or advertising message in it. Secondly, the user has a post history and has answered in response to other posts.

I think what PF was getting at was that, maybe they have a bot that can post to multiple forums at once? Instead of having to manually go and post!

Highly unlikely that they could get a bot to do that for them, but it could be :) Which they would reply the ones that get a response.

according to your stats, you voted in 4 polls.

Damn, I'm exposed...  Was that intended to illustrate my laziness to not check my user stats?  Cause if it was, good illustration.

He can't even read 8 posts above him, how do you expect him to remember before yesterday?

Yeah sorry, I only skimmed over a couple of replies, obviously not yours.  What does reading have to do with memory anyway? 

Reminds me of a phpfreak bot I was working on for a while.  I got as far as it picking unsolved, non-stickied, non-moved, non-locked threads, scanning the OP for keywords and phrases and suggesting links to the manual based on what it found.  It came out surprisingly accurate sometimes but the error of margin was way too high.

Damn, I'm exposed...  Was that intended to illustrate my laziness to not check my user stats?  Cause if it was, good illustration.

If you want to take it like that, then sure.  Was not my intention, though.  Maybe you didn't know it was listed in the stats. 

Is there any other way we are supposed to take a post like that from you?

If you want to take it like that, then sure.

He either banked on being lazy and hoped nobody would check, or else he simply didn't know it was listed there.  I opted for the simpler explanation, and actually, it didn't even cross my mind he was being lazy or trying to lie or whatever.  He sounded like he didn't remember voting in any polls.  Since I don't think he's an idiot, I assumed he simply didn't know it was listed in the stats, and pointed it out to him.  That's a perfectly acceptable way to take my post, and coincidentally, that was the reasoning and intention behind it. 

I did not say "You're a damn liar, your stats say otherwise," or "You lazy bum, it would have taken you 2s to check your stats."  But if he (and you, apparently) wants to think I was trying to somehow call him lazy, then by all means, whatever gets you off.  I'm not going to lose sleep over people taking what I say in a negative way.  But if you think that's CV's way of being negative...you obviously have not seen my sword.

He either banked on being lazy and hoped nobody would check, or else he simply didn't know it was listed there.  I opted for the simpler explanation, and actually, it didn't even cross my mind he was being lazy or trying to lie or whatever.  He sounded like he didn't remember voting in any polls.  Since I don't think he's an idiot, I assumed he simply didn't know it was listed in the stats, and pointed it out to him.  That's a perfectly acceptable way to take my post, and coincidentally, that was the reasoning and intention behind it.

I was actually being sarcastic and I really didn't know about those specific type of user stats.

I'm glad you really don't think I'm lazy... or an idiot  ;D

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.