Should I stay with IE 6 or upgrade to IE 7 as a Web Designer

andrewsCWD

I was wondering what other web developers keep on their main testing computers? I have IE 6 installed and have been refusing the IE 7 upgrade.

Mainly, I'm wanting to find out if I should upgrade to IE 7 or just stay with IE 6 for my web design. I currently design to make sure my sites look fine in Firefox, Safari windows, Opera, all current versions, and IE 6. Thanks for any help.

Andrew

Just drop IE6. Web developers are shooting themselves in the foot by keep supporting it. IE7 has been out for years and IE8 is in RC. There is no excuse for not having upgraded by now. If you're in a corporate environment and cannot upgrade then you can use something like portable FF.

I've dropped support for IE6, unless a client specifically requests that we support it, and even then they pay extra.

andrewsCWD, I think you'll probably find that there are a hell of a lot more people using IE7 than there are IE6. I'd upgrade if I were you, and be shocked at how many of your projects are likely to be broken in IE7!

I've got a program which allows multiple IE's to be installed on one pc without having to set up a virtual machine or anything.

I find it quite useful, because I can see how shocking my website looks in IE6, and how many hours I have to spend fixing it  >:(

I've got a program which allows multiple IE's to be installed on one pc without having to set up a virtual machine or anything.

I find it quite useful, because I can see how shocking my website looks in IE6, and how many hours I have to spend fixing it  >:(

IETester? It's quite buggy...

I think that it depends on the type of website. Any business site that could have potential IE6 users should still cater to them in my opinion.  A site like PHPfreaks, or a blog or portfolio can get away with it, but unfortunately there are still many very stupid users in the world that don't even understand there is a difference between IE6 and 7.  I'm sure many non-technical clients don't even understand that websites can render different in different browsers. It is a shame but also a reality. If people start getting away from XP and move to vista/7 it will get easier for us.

IETester? It's quite buggy...

Lol yeah. Input boxes are disabled, and it'll crash quite frequently. Plus, if there's flash content on the page, it'll ask you if you want to continue loading the page. Idk why.

It's pretty useful though- it gives you a basic idea of what your site looks like.

My mate told me my site was messed up in IE6, and Ive got IE8 so I had no way of seeing it. It's a pretty useful program tbh :)

I think that it depends on the type of website. Any business site that could have potential IE6 users should still cater to them in my opinion.  A site like PHPfreaks, or a blog or portfolio can get away with it, but unfortunately there are still many very stupid users in the world that don't even understand there is a difference between IE6 and 7.  I'm sure many non-technical clients don't even understand that websites can render different in different browsers. It is a shame but also a reality. If people start getting away from XP and move to vista/7 it will get easier for us.

<!--[if lte IE 6]>
<div class="warning">Better browser or <acronym title="get the f*** off">GTFO</acronym>!</div>
<![endif]-->

Adjust language as you see fit.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. The reason I hadn't upgraded is that I worked at a telecommunications place that required my system at home to still have IE 6 to be compatible with the system software. So when IE 7 first came out we were told to not upgrade. I no longer work there and I just never upgraded as I was never prompted to do so again until just recently.

So I upgraded to IE 7 this morning.

SemiApocalyptic, you had me worried! Luckily though, my website and the few sample website layouts at my site that I've made look just fine in IE 7 without any changes needed. I'm very new to the field and haven't done many projects.

Thanks again for your opinions.

If people start getting away from XP and move to vista/7 it will get easier for us.

I'm not sure I follow. Doesn't XP only support IE 7 and up? (let me rephrase, if one sits down at an XP workstation (without IE installed), and tries to download IE, will they not be forced to IE 7 and up? (at least, when I tried to get IE 6 prior to 7, the MS site wouldn't let me download version 6 [Kudos for them on that front at least]. I was directed to IE 7 download page automatically).

You are able to have IE6 on XP. That's entirely possible on Vista/7. IE7 wasn't out when XP was first released.

Im guessing by that second sentence that it's impossible on Vista (to have IE 6 that is)?

EDIT.. I googled it (being I'm not a Vista user). So I understand now.

Someone should write a virus that forces an update from IE6 to IE7.

Nah there should be an agreement on one rule. Everytime a new website is made there should be a script included which detects ie6 or lower. When ie6 or lower is detected alert that ie6 sucks and redirect to a page where you can download a browser that's more up to date.

Nah there should be an agreement on one rule. Everytime a new website is made there should be a script included which detects ie6 or lower. When ie6 or lower is detected alert that ie6 sucks and redirect to a page where you can download a browser that's more up to date.

Already done that with mine ;) (Although I don't alert that IE 6 sucks though.. just a redirect to a page displaying links to more up to date browsers).

I'll have to say that I'm against blocking people. Asking people to upgrade is fine by me, but dictating people's choice of browser is wrong, in my opinion.

Yeah it is kinda wrong wasn't serious about the alert that ie6 sucks. In some ways I find ie6 better then ie7. The GUI is more logical to me. But the thing that really does suck is writting bug fixes for an 8 year old browser. Microsoft should just have the service pack overwrite ie6 with a newer version. But enough said about that from me as there are prob a whole load of topics as it is about ie6

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.