Help me choosing a name (brainstorming)

qqwet

So, I'm working on a website.

This website has something to do with donations, it should make it possible to donate to different projects/people by mean of a single transaction, thus reducing transaction fees, and allowing to freely make lots of small donations to different "receivers".

This idea was born for open source projects, but could probably be applied to other fields.

The point is: we need a name for the website.  ???

Central ideas:

• open source (the website will be "open source" as well)
  • community
  • donations ( :))

Our last idea was "Donation Basket", another one was "United Donations" (I don't like it very much...);

maybe "Donation hub", or "Open donations" (doesn't make much sense...).

Don't be shy, any idea or comment on existing names is much appreciated. We are all italians in the team so we don't even know how to correctly put the words togheter, any help is very welcome  ;)

Random words that maybe could be used:

aggregator,  gathering, team , bunch, assemble®, collect,

huddle, crowd, mob, crew

gratitude, giver...

I am all for open source... but can you make is OS and secure?

Probably it'll be more secure if made open source than otherwise...

There are lots of white-hat hackers that can help us discovering security holes in time ( see firefox...), furthermore all transactions are made by paypal, so they're as secure as paypal is.

Personally i think that making it open source is also important from the "transparency" point of view.

As for the names it would be nice if you could tell me which one's your favorite (or make a small chart)

ps: i like the break-you-legs thing, it souds pretty straightforward and persuasive...

ps: i like the break-you-legs thing, it souds pretty straightforward and persuasive...

lol, I don't think many people would fall for it though. Besides, it would make for a long URL: http://www.donatenoworillbreakyourlegs.com ;)

As for names, my personal favorites (listed so far in this thread) are as follows in order:

- Donation Hub

- Source Aid

- Donation Bin

Any three-letter domain name with a popular TLD will be really expensive... People just purchase them in case it might be a useful abbreviation for somebody.

Yes, it called cyber-squating, which I protest sounds disgusting!

Offtopic:

Isn't it against ICANN rules to do that though? I thought it was against the rules to hold a domain to resell at a higher value. I know people do it all the time, but I thought I read somewhere it was a no-no. (Found it: here - but it is only against trademarks and such)

I think:

dontationcrew.com :D

lol, what, did you just buy the domain name right now?

nah just kidding :P

It's taken anyway... although the following are available:

• doughnation.info
  • doughnation.tv
  • doughnation.me
  • doughnation.mobi
  • doughnation.biz

Oh, good call on 'recipient'.

Other options according to dictionary.com using their thesaursus:

almsperson, assignee, devisee, donee, grantee, heir, heiress, inheritor, legatee, payee, possessor, receiver, recipient, stipendiary, successor

'stipendiary'? *Almost* sounds like someone who is legendary at being stupid  :P

What do you mean call?

I was thinking about using two login boxes, one for donors and one for "receivers".

Inside the first one i'd write something like: " I'm a donor, and i want to see my donation basket "

But I really dont' know what to write in the other one... like " I'm an organization, and I want to see how donations are" ...

"Organization" wouldn't be the best because it could be a single person as well, and I'm not even sure about the "how donations are" part, it sounds very wrong to me...

But I really don't' know what to write in the other one... like " I'm an organization, and I want to see how donations are" ...

"Organization" wouldn't be the best because it could be a single person as well, and I'm not even sure about the "how donations are" part, it sounds very wrong to me...

How about:

- "I'm a recipient; how are the donations being used?"

- "I'm a recipient and I'm inquiring about how donations are used."

or my fav:

- "I'm a recipient; do I have enough to retire?"  8)

How about:

- "I'm a recipient; how are the donations being used?"

- "I'm a recipient and I'm inquiring about how donations are used."

mmm, I don't get it.

If you are the recipient, you should know what you are using the donations for, right?

or maybe this phrase has another meaning which I don't undertand??

mmm, I don't get it.

If you are the recipient, you should know what you are using the donations for, right?

I was going off what you initially wrote:

" I'm an organization, and I want to see how donations are" ...

So I figured what you meant by that example was, 'since I am a recipient, I am curious as to how the donations are spread out / spent'.

Perhaps I misunderstood you?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.