Please Read before posting here for PHP Help

Something related to these forums would be nice, like using Code Tags, Pointing out Errors..etc.

Pretty sure we had something like this already.

Hmm... I'm not sure.

Everybody should read this though: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I agree with you but, do you think people that are lazy enough not to incorporate the proper information into their questions are going to actually read through such an extensive document like that?

If anything, it should be short and to the point.  Maybe a couple bullets of things to include in your boggle.

I didn't really consider saying using Code Tags or Posting Errors as "extensive".

But it would be nice to just give a link to a sticky rather than saying "Use Code Tags and this is how" everytime someone doesn't.

Something related to these forums would be nice, like using Code Tags, Pointing out Errors..etc.

Hmm... I'm not sure.

Everybody should read this though: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

I agree with you but, do you think people that are lazy enough not to incorporate the proper information into their questions are going to actually read through such an extensive document like that?

If anything, it should be short and to the point.  Maybe a couple bullets of things to include in your boggle.

I didn't really consider saying using Code Tags or Posting Errors as "extensive".

I was talking about the document you referred to:

Hmm... I'm not sure.

That was Daniels post, but I agree on that point.

Yes, and you quoted Daniel saying you thought we had something like that, which referenced the link.  My comment was anything like that is way too long and the typical, "i need quick answer to my HW assignment" poster, is not going to read that.

How about forcing new registered users to read a topic before they can post?

Things like proper formatting and placement of topics is covered here: http://www.phpfreaks.com/page/forum-rules

It's the users' own responsibility to stay updated with the rules, so everybody should check that page frequently. If they don't then they might miss changes and unknowingly violate the rules.

I don't think the majority of users on here - those with 30 or so posts - care all that much about the rules to be honest, but they still go on cluttering up the boards and being enough of a deal to cause threads like this.

Perhaps forcing users to read a thread before they can begin posting, which outlines the basic rules and tips to better posts, would help at least reduce the number?

I can't find a mod specifically for it, the closest being this. If anybody knows of one post it up!

Adam

I once heard of Ph.D thesis where it was written, in the middle of everything, that in case the reader got that far in reading, he should contact the author at given phone number. The author got the first call after 20 years, and it was from his own student, who was told to do some work basing on this thesis.

I always read the fine print.  People put all kinds of crazy stupid shit in there that you're just like wtf...is this really legal for them to say?  Like the parts about how you agree that whatever decision they make overrules any court of law sort of stuff.  Seriously? You can agree to give them that power and it's actually binding? So they could like, take my firstborn child and the cops would be like "Sorry, you signed the contract...". 

I always think its funny when I'm somewhere getting something that involves signing a contract, like buying a car or getting a new cell phone plan or something.  Its funny watching the sales guy out of the corner of my eye fidgeting and making dirty faces.  Sometimes I pick random obscure things in the contract and ask questions about it to make him squirm even more.  As if he really knows the answer.  As if he actually read the contract he's trying to make me sign. 

My point was really something we could link as a reply to a bad post and not something they would read before they post.

Is it really that hard to make a quick sticky?

No its not that hard to make a quick sticky.  But a) there is a difference between rules and guidelines.  What many people think should be rules are actually guidelines, because it is not our duty or desire to be the proverbial grammar police. b) As pointed out, most people don't bother reading the stickies.  No point in making them if people aren't going to read them.  Even if you link to it as a response to a "bad post," I assure you, they are not going to follow the link and read the sticky.

No its not that hard to make a quick sticky.  But a) there is a difference between rules and guidelines.  What many people think should be rules are actually guidelines, because it is not our duty or desire to be the proverbial grammar police. b) As pointed out, most people don't bother reading the stickies.  No point in making them if people aren't going to read them.  Even if you link to it as a response to a "bad post," I assure you, they are not going to follow the link and read the sticky.

I couldn't agree more.  As far as I'm concerned this discussion is over.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.