It's about time...

Maq

Yea, I just saw this start popping up in some of my news feeds.  I can't wait to see it go, but it won't be officially gone until people get away from Windows XP. There are too many users that don't run any critical updates, much less their browser.

yeah unfortunately, it will still be quite a while before I can tell my boss to tell the client they are being unreasonable for expecting me to cater to IE6 users.  Can you believe I just barely get away with saying "no" to IE5?  Too many people out there either need to get with the program or at least trust the people who do.

I'm building a site now and I just got off a call with them.  They were reporting that the site was slow and a few things didn't look right.  They were using IE6.  I had them download IE8 and I just got an email saying that the site looks "much better now!" and it's not slow anymore.

Imagine that.  I think I'm going to throw an error to users that are using IE6.

That gives me an idea...I wonder how much I can get away with for writing a condition that checks browser version and redirecting user to ms ie8 dl page if it's <= ie6? :P

I do something similar with my projects, by displaying a message notifying the user that they're using an old and out-dated browser with links to Firefox 3.x, Chrome, Opera, Safari and IE8.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.