Programming or Design?

TheFilmGod

I just finished designing the front end for a huge application - biggest project I have made so far. After all the html/css/javascript design it seems like it won't be easy to design all the php/sql to put it all together. So my question is - do you like programming the back end more or designing the front end? I personally like designing more as it's a little easier for me (little experience with php).

Maybe someone has tips on programming the backend? Is using a php framework as helpful as the jquery framework is for javascript?

they all have their ups and downs. 

Model:

I hate the ... well I pretty much hate all of the model.  But I do like swimming around in a sea of data, finding patterns, etc...

View:

I hate the part of view where you have to make your shit compatible with essentially 5,000 browsers to appease the greatest % of the population.  But in some ways it is the easiest, as it is the most visual, and there's not a whole lot of logic involved, except for inheritance, I guess.  (I don't really put javascript in this category; rather, the Control category).

Control:

I hate having to fuck around with making control shit secure.  But I do like figuring out how to code stuff, in general.  I get warm and fuzzy feelings just thinking about regex.

I like both. Doing the front end stuff is more instant satisfaction, but there is something to be said about making something work behind the scenes. 

Maybe someone has tips on programming the backend? Is using a php framework as helpful as the jquery framework is for javascript?

I've recently started using cakePHP and I think using a framework is the way to go.  It speeds things up once you get over the learning curve. There is a pretty big different between something like jquery and a PHP MVC framework, but they are both very helpful. 

I also think it is first important to have a good understanding of PHP and programming in general before trying to use a framework.

I prefer working on the back-end. I'm decent with graphics, but I just don't enjoy working with them that much. And I'm terrible with colors and making things it together on the larger scale.

I hate the part of view where you have to make your shit compatible with essentially 5,000 browsers to appease the greatest % of the population.

That is the one thing I hate the most - the little tweaks and hacks to make it look/act the exact same in all the browsers (especially when I used to work with IE6 too.) But, I think jcombs hit it, front end is that instant satisfaction that you can go to sleep at night with a smile on, where as the backend you can brag about it saying "hey look, this site has 100k users using and MY code keeps them happy"

Plus I like the logic side of coding.... at my full time job I don't require that much thinking, so I enjoy challenging myself to a good in-depth project from time to time.

Plus I like the logic side of coding.... at my full time job I don't require that much thinking, so I enjoy challenging myself to a good in-depth project from time to time.

Maybe try Project Euler.

Heh, I think i might try and do a few more of these in my spare time over the summer. They can be irritating though...I just did problem 15 in what I thought was a very elegant way (using a dynamic programming approach) but it then turns out there's a far simpler way with some simple maths. Grrrr. I guess that's kinda they point of these things though...

I drive myself crazy messing around with graphics and colour schemes and being picky and changing things and fixing cross-browser issues and messing with padding here and there and margins and - yea.

I prefer the backend stuff because it's usually straight forward database work and I don't have to spend an hour fiddling around with small things.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.