Avatar - as reviewed by Cracked.com

nrg_alpha

It actually doesn't look all that impressive to me.

Don't get me wrong, the CG looks awesome, but all the ads make it look a bit clunky when actual people interact with the CG environments and creatures.  It's not as bad as the Star Wars prequels in that regard, but still noticeable enough to be jarring.

That, and the plot seems to be paint-by-numbers white guilt.  Humans are bad, natives are good, etc.  Every preview gives me that 'been there, done that' vibe.

If it gets good reviews, I may see it in the theater, but I predict it'll only be a rental.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had no interest in seeing this movie whatsoever and even less after reading the article.  IMO the overuse of CGI has completely ruined most movies in recent years; well, CGI and the absurdly durable bodies the characters, creatures, monsters, or whatever else inhabit.

Anyways, my fiancee's sister really enjoyed it.  Then my co-worker came in last week blathering about how I should go see it in 3D.

So last night we finally went to see it, although not in 3D.  I enjoyed it.

I thought it was ok, and the visuals/wildlife were awesome, but (as Nightslyr predicted) some of the movements/speech is a little awkward and clunky. And its basically a huge guilt trip.

It was kind of boring too, 2 hours of that marine becoming an alien... no action whatsoever (excluding the time where he gets attacked by those dog... things)

But the last 40 minutes were pure epic, and made up for it

I saw the movie earlier today. I must say, I really liked it alot! While the action was more or less reserved for the end, I enjoyed the unfolding story and characters as well. A complete package imo. Not perfect by any stretch, but I look forward to seeing it again.

It looks retarded to me, but dont judge a book my its cover. I will wait till it comes out on Redbox DVD and watch it then for $1. Until then I can deal without seeing it as I want to see that new Sherlock holmes movie! :)

To be honest, the director was waiting for the technology to come out to make this movie and it's his first film in 12 years since the Titanic.

What about Terminator?

Terminator 1 and 2 came out years before Titanic.  He didn't really have anything to do with the last two Terminator movies.

To be honest, the director was waiting for the technology to come out to make this movie and it's his first film in 12 years since the Titanic.

What about Terminator?

Terminator 1 and 2 came out years before Titanic.  He didn't really have anything to do with the last two Terminator movies.

I see.  12 years is a long time.

I see.  12 years is a long time.

Indeed.. but then again, when you have a director like James Cameron, who broke records with Titanic, and then as his next (albeit late) film, he looks poised to break records again, I think Hollywood will be more than glad to have this guy do movies (even in 12 year gaps). Now that Avatar has broken $1Billion worldwide, I guess this means sequel/trilogy, as he said "God willing this movie makes money in the market" he would make at least one more installement.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.