Button for PHP code?

I've come to love using the [ php ] tags, but noticed they don't seem to have a button for them. I manually have to add [ code ] tags and then switch them to php or write them myself.. It isn't the most convenient sometimes.

14122009124909am.png

Do you think it should be added?

It would be nice to have, especially as it is PHPFreaks, I'm not sure how simple it would be to add though. The manual tag would be extremely useful also.

Yeah! You mean the [ m ] [ /m ]? I just just thought of that and wanted to reply here. I don't think it'd be hard to add at all, I mean all it does is uses JS to wrap a tag around selected text, It'll be very fun to use.

@oni-kun

To accomplish what cags has done ([m]...[/m] without spaces), simply surround the desired bbc tags with [nobbc] ... [/nobbc] tags.

I suppose we can do that. I can't say I've ever used any of the buttons though.

I agree with adding those buttons (PHP code tags and manual tags). For me, it's a mixed bag..  If I am hammering out a response in the Quick Reply panel, I tend to simply type out the bbc tags manually (as there no buttons of anykind available above the *Quick Reply.. but if I am previewing a response, I tend to hit the code button (and modifiy it to PHP if that's what I am using). I suppose it all boils down to personal preference (I prefer having both methods).

[ot]

* Isn't there a mod that puts the panel of buttons found above the preview window above the Quick Reply as well? I can't believe SMF hasn't done this by default. Otherwise, people who wish to access these buttons must first hit preview.

[/ot]

* Isn't there a mod that puts the panel of buttons found above the preview window above the Quick Reply as well? I can't believe SMF hasn't done this by default. Otherwise, people who wish to access these buttons must first hit preview.

It's called "Quick Reply". It's designed for when you need to write quick replies, not for when you're writing CV style novels ;)

It's called "Quick Reply". It's designed for when you need to write quick replies, not for when you're writing CV style novels ;)

I could understand a few buttons being on the quick reply, but not all of them.  Things like bold, italics, underline and strikethrough.  And the code button(s).  The only thing missing would be to have the mod that allows a user to select the text he/she wants to quote before pushing  "quote".

But yeah. typically I just hit preview whenever I need to do some formatting.

I've never actually used the quick reply, since I have the newest response at the top not the bottom, it seems a lot easier to just click reply.

I could understand a few buttons being on the quick reply, but not all of them.  Things like bold, italics, underline and strikethrough.  And the code button(s).  The only thing missing would be to have the mod that allows a user to select the text he/she wants to quote before pushing  "quote".

That quote thing would be nice too, I keep trying to do it out of pure instinct (because other forums I'm a member of have it).

To accomplish what cags has done ([m]...[/m] without spaces), simply surround the desired bbc tags with [nobbc] ... [/nobbc] tags.

Your like the magician that explains the magic trick, you don't have to give away all the secrets :P

lol yeah, I understand, but I figured the "quickness" of it is that you don't need to hit reply (thus negate the need of bringing you to the full fledged reply / preview system). So from how I see it, the addition of some common buttons (as CV suggests) wouldn't have any bearing on the quickness of it all. I don't know.. just throwing my 2 cents out there.  :shrug:

Your like the magician that explains the magic trick, you don't have to give away all the secrets :P

D'oh! I was going to simply point to the Bulletin Board Code Help page  to illustrate that the nobbc tags were there for all to see.. but low and behold.. *poof!* it pulled a Houdini and vanished  :o , so forget that idea.  :sarcastic:

A lot of newbs who come to these forums put code in plaintext, code tags or even quotes. O_o; It just makes more sense to have an easily available PHP button there, as the most posted type of code is PHP. I was surprised this brought much attention!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.