Do you Want to join on a php newies group to learn online self tought class?

co.ador

I have thought to meet a couple of users over here or anywhere, interested in becoming a web site developers. Please if you are interested in scheduling online self tought classes directed by us, collecting the needed books, tutorials and subjects needed to become a website site developer please leave a post on this thread.

I also want to know what other subjects beside the one below are needed to become a web site developer?

Please add more subjects to the list below to reach the goal of becoming a web site developer.

PHP

Mysql

HTML

CSS

ASP

JAva Script.....

Thank you.

Who wants to join the journey?

What is your setup? Will you teach these subjects? If you are, then you should have a very good background in all of these as you can't just say things without knowing it for sure.

Website development is a very broad field, you have:

1) network (tcp/ip, http)

2) server (linux, windows), LAMP + WAMP installation, ..

3) website design

3.1) wire-frames, mock-ups, prototypes

3.2) usability, accessibility, SE marketing

3.3) card-sorting, ..

3.4) color theory

3.5) html, css, js, ..

4) website development

4.1) basic syntax

4.2) dynamic- vs static typed

4.3) types (scalar, non-scalar), constants

4.4) expressions, operators, control structures, (popular) functions, diference between classes and objects, exceptions, what are references, ..

4.5) security

4.6) different methodologies, naming conventions, ..

4.7) manual use

4.8) advanced features: PDO, session_set_save_handler(), php.ini, filter_*(), ctype_*(), ..

4.9) XDebug, PHPUnit, IDE use, ..

5) social media integration

And I'm only scratching the surface here

Well I have to say I have been miss understood here guys. I have forgot to include myself in the list of people who wnats to learn as well I might change the Subject of this thread maybe so I can be understood and bring the people who have a desire to learn. I want to learn together with that group of people as well :)  Peers who decide together over here what to study and to start a open class to learn from each other. Maybe an organized method we could form ourselves here meaning to think of some sort of order to study the below extensive list. I am a learner as well, I have touch the surface of some of this extensive topics but I would like to dig a little bit more with some fellows who want to start the journey as well.

That's a quite an extensive list.

Php

Mysql

HTML

CSS

ASP

Java Script

Ajax

Java

XHTML

SHTML

XML

Perl

Ruby

Python

Aspx

DHTML

Javascriptm

MsSQl

TCP/IP

HTTP

NetWork

Server

Linux

Windows

Lamp

WAMP

Website Design

Wire-Frames,

Mock-ups

Prototypes

Usability, Accessibility

SE Marketing

Card-Sorting

Color Theory

WEbsite Develoment

Basic Syntax

Dynamic-vs Static Type

Types( Scalar, Non-Scalar, Constans

expressions, operators, control structures, (popular) functions, diference between classes and objects, exceptions, what are references, ..

security

different methodologies, naming conventions, ..

manual use

advanced features: PDO, session_set_save_handler(), php.ini, filter_*(), ctype_*(), ..

XDebug, PHPUnit, IDE use, ..

social media integration

I'm not sure it's the best idea to have a bunch of people who don't know what they're talking about sharing incorrect information. Sounds like it would do more harm than good.

If you have MySQL, your probably best off including MySQLI, MsSQL, PostgreSQL, and others.

With usage on software that can be used with it. PHPMyAdmin, etc...

Flash could be part of the list (Possibly)

I'm not sure, but I think C, and C++ can be used on websites too..

Someone will have to correct me on that though.

FYI you do not need to know all of those, or even most of those, to be a successful web developer.

True that, but maybe someone wants to learn more than just.. a few kinds of coding?

I'm not sure it's the best idea to have a bunch of people who don'tknow what they're talking about sharing incorrect information. Soundslike it would do more harm than good.

True that, you could perhaps provide references to other articles, or the better option would be to limit it down to codes that you DO know.

True that, you could perhaps provide references to other articles, or the better option would be to limit it down to codes that you DO know.

How do you know what you DO know? Especially beginners tend to overestimate the 'correctness' of things they've learned.

How do you know what you DO know? Especially beginners tend to overestimate the 'correctness' of things they've learned.

Yeah erm.. couldn't think of a better way to put it. Maybe 'Learnt alot about said code, with advanced knowledge of it' might of been a better way to put it?

To all of your entry it seem like they are narrowing down to what would be the best way to start.

FYI you do not need to know all of those, or even most of those, to be a successful web developer.

True that, but maybe someone wants to learn more than just.. a few kinds of coding?

I'm not sure it's the best idea to have a bunch of people who don'tknow what they're talking about sharing incorrect information. Soundslike it would do more harm than good.

I would say that the more a person learn the better would be but sometimes it is hard where to start or maybe what order to study. in other words it is hard to have a disorganized path and put every piece together.

I am looking for a structure of programs and tools to implement and be useful to have different or most common web sites structures used in the market. For instance e-commerce websites would be my favorites to start with.

What would be the tools and programs out that list to best implement e-commerce websites.

I also doubt any experienced persons will join those groups as they can't be bothered answering questions from everyone who joined the group. So you get beginners helping beginners and no-one that can correct when something wrong is being passed.

I would say that the more a person learn the better would be but sometimes it is hard where to start or maybe what order to study. in other words it is hard to have a disorganized path and put every piece together.

Again as somebody mentioned, putting a group of people in the same situation wouldn't really help. When teaching yourself there's no real order in which to learn, you just have to go out and figure it out for yourself; which would probably be beneficial in that situation as you'll learn more in the long run.

We could have some of you guys at least monthly or every three weeks and through some organize lectures that we could follow. for the next month an so on.

I think you are immensely underestimating the amount of work and time it takes to create a solid and effective lecture/class.  I highly doubt you will find someone to do that for free, which seems to be the case.  Besides, there are plenty of free forums, tutorials, videos, books, discussions, and general free resources to teach and help you learn.  I don't see throwing a bunch of newbs together would change anything.

The best way to learn is via good mentors.  With the invention of the internet you can find mentors who don't even know they're mentoring you!

1) Hang out in the proper IRC channels.  Find the most active channels for PHP, MySQL, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, Linux, security, whatever you're interested in.  Be a lurker, not a contributor.  Read the conversations that occur.  Just be watching people ask questions and reading responses you'll learn all sorts of things.

2) Write code.  Then rewrite it to be better.  Then rewrite it to be better again.  And keep doing this until you can't possible make it better.  Then post your final version here asking for help on making it even better and hope someone comes along and helps you out.  Like this fellow did here: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,296449.msg1404483.html#msg1404483  (I only post one in which I replied because it was easier for me to pull it up, not for self-advertising or some such nonsense.)

3) There are many, many experienced and talented individuals in this community as well as on other online communities.  For example, if you've read the MySQL board long enough, then you know fenway is (or at least once was) a very active and knowledgeable member there.  So if you wanted to take some time to learn about MySQL, you might look at fenway's most recent posts.  There you will see people asking questions and how fenway goes about solving the problems.  Find the talented members on these boards and just read their post history.  You'll learn loads about how they go about solving problems.

4) Branch out to other areas.  Most of us here are interested in web development and if you're just learning web development, then you should stick with web development topics.  Once you become comfortable with web development, you will only help yourself by reading about topics that are not directly related to web development.  Read about software design or engineering.  Buy a book like Game Programming Gems and see the nifty types of tricks programmers apply in other fields; believe it or not, that stuff will affect how you solve programming problems for web-based stuff because your base knowledge will have expanded outside your normal thinking box.

5) Invent problems and create solutions.  For example, solve this problem:

You maintain a PHP and database application.  It is installed in various locations and does not have an automatic update procedure.  Each new version of the software can potentially come with database schema changes.  Support technicians are constantly struggling when updating the software at client locations with which database schema changes need to be applied.  If the database schema is not correct for the program version, then the program is unstable and crashes.  Add a command to the program such that when a technician updates the code at a client location, they can run this one command and the program will apply the necessary schema changes.  This command should be generic enough that it can be used for any application.

roopurt18

I have a question in regard to the first point you have done. I have MIRC in my pc, But when I go to the server list there are many and not all of them will have active #php, #msql... channels that a lot of members be in there chatting and talking about this topics. What server will have a active #php, #mysql, or any other topics for web development?

What servers do you know?

I tried Random Server?

Did you try irc.phpfreaks.com ? :P

Also, apart from IRC, there are sources like Planet PHP, which aggregates articles from several PHP dedicated blogs. You won't learn basics there, but a lot of more advanced topics are covered.

There's also Planet MySQL if you're interested in MySQL, and possibly similar services for other technologies.

It's been a long while since I used IRC frequently, but efnet and freenode (?) seemed to be somewhat popular.  Mind you channels won't be active 24/7.  Actually most of the time they're inactive.  But you will get tidbits from advanced users in there.

I think it's a pretty neat idea. I don't mind interacting with other php enthusiasts whether they're experts or noobs and I may have some valuable information to exchange as well. Some tutorials assume you have some experience and don't really explain in detail (in noob lingo).

I'd like to join the group and learn anything I can. :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.