Good Programming and Web Design Books

theverychap

Hi,

I recived a pm today from a fellow phpfreaker regarding php books, i replied with the following, it may be of help to php peeps that are looking for a good book but are unsure of what to buy...

Hi,

this is in regard the thread titled PHP Magazines, Any Available?.

Do you mind typing your list of books out if it's not a problem?

Housni Yakoob

Hi mate,

no problem, heres my current list of books:

1. Sams teach yourself php in 24 hours (excellent book with some fundamental things we need to know, taught me a lot and i still occasionally look at it now).

2. peachpit press, 'php and mysql' quickstart guide (not as good as the others, they use old syntax etc)

3. sams php and mysql web development (this IS what i classed as my bible, its on its third edition now, id strongly recommend this book, absolutely great, taught me an awful lot of what i know today)

4. developers library advanced php programming (this book is quite hardcore, not too many php examples etc but has a wealth of information avout design patterns etc, 'a practical guide to developing large scale php applications' - damn good read!)

5. sybex (php freaks' eric rosebrocks book) 'creating interactive websites with php and web services' (i brought this solely because it was erics first book, to be honest its not the best book i have, but has some great chapters, plus a lot of it is familiar beacuse i have been a phpfreak for a few years now..)no disrespect to Eric what-so-ever!

6. oreilly php pocket reference - nice little 'pocket sized' (!) book outlining all f the php functions etc - nothiing that cant be found on the net but for £7 its a must have, i keep it in my laptop bag (along with apache pocket ref and mysql pocket ref - good books)

I also ohave loads of other books, namely html, xhtml, javascript, dhtml, css & css2, css programers guide, linux in a nutshell, flash 5 and mx (i dont use flash anymore though)

I would recommend sams or oreilly, you can guarantee a quality book from them. 99% of the books i have are by these guys and 95% of them are excellent books. stay away from the 'visual quickstart guides' (peachpit press) - it seems they write books a few years behind everyone else!

hope thats enough info for you mate, :)

take care,

Stuart / theverychap.

i like to add 'PHP and MySQL Web Development' by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson to the list of recommendations.

It's not lame, neither is it hardcore, but it teaches you things from simple 'Hello World' scripts right through to developing content management systems, email programs, etc.

It's pretty much written in 'English' speak too, not programmers speak, so people of all levels will easily find it useful.

• Like 1

Excellent. Thanks for replying to my PM :)

I bought the second edition of the PHP bible about a year back. It helped me a bit but I don't like it. I feel it's too vague.

I also own the XML bible and Administering Apache by Mark Arnold (it was a gift) and a bunch of Flash books which I don't use because I also stopped working with Flash over a year ago.

I've decided to purchase these two books:

1. sams php and mysql web development

2. developers library advanced php programming

The second one would be quite useful for me. I'm looking for something like that, that has information and design patterns and methods of programming and things like that. I'm actually looking for a guide to modular based programming.

I found this link via the signature of a mod on this forum and I found it useful if anyone is interested:

The Art of Unix Programming.

I've also been searching for resources on the web for information on Kernel Architecture in general. My aim being, I want to learn good programming practices/concepts when it comes to building a module based, PHP written engine for anything from a CMS system to a simple website. I'm really learning a lot from the Apache architecture for that sort of thing.

I browsed your site a bit...so you're into XML as well?

I was experimenting with WDDX a while back and it popped into my mind again the other day. Have you tried it? If so, have you come accross any unusual uses for it apart from the general uses?

If anyone can recommend any good books or online resources (preferred), then please do :)

Much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bane, (Koobi, Housni Yakoob)

I found quite a useful one in PCWorld called PHP and MySQL for Dummies, by Janet Valade. Its a very good book. I think it focuses on working with mysql and php together, it doesnt teach you the basics. But the good thing is you can get some of their examples and scripts from a cd at the back of the book, which is a nice feature. It mainly focuses on making login scripts and that kind of thing, but it is a good book.

i like to add 'PHP and MySQL Web Development' by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson to the list of recommendations.

It's not lame, neither is it hardcore, but it teaches you things from simple 'Hello World' scripts right through to developing content management systems, email programs, etc.

It's pretty much written in 'English' speak too, not programmers speak, so people of all levels will easily find it useful.

233652[/snapback]

@rebullmarky - that was at no. 3 in my list m8 - excellent book i think :)

@bane: no probs m8 - the two books you say you are going to buy are great choices, the sams php and mysql web development book is on its 3rd edition now, make sure you get the latest ed. as some of the code in my v1 book is verydated now...

cheers for now. tvc.

Quoting czambran from post: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51603

"

I recently decided that It was time for me to learn the OO capabilities of php and I bought this book:"PHP5 Power Programming" which waas co-authored by the co-creator of the php and zend engine. I highly recommend the book.

"

I think this is the next book i'm buying too :)

Steelman: good idea to pin this topic, i'm hoping it will help us all.

• 2 weeks later...

The book is fantastic, and it gives a good introduction to PEAR.

Excellent, thanks man :)

EDIT: (20 minutes later)

looks like a great OOP resource - maybe i'll finally understand OOP properly!

236713[/snapback]

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

ok i read it *ober*. I read it before i made the thread. but since it was closed, i suppose I'll just ask again here as I didn't see an answer.

What is a good book for me to read to learn more about advanced PHP topics? Topics not covered in MOST php books like IMAP functions and such.

• 2 months later...

Hello Guys -

My First Post To PHPFreaks!

I was reading this thread and find it very useful for anybody whose going to start learning PHP.

I am a Flash and 3d related guy - But I am really very interested in learning PHP and using that in making dynamic sites and many type of online works.

I have not even a single idea about the language just read some first lessons of w3schools and I am ready to start learning PHP.

Where should I start and what should I do - many more questions in my mind and I hope you can understand that newbie's ques and answer me in detail.

Thanks Again,

Addies.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How about PHP-GTK books?  The only one that turns up on Amazon/Borders is written in Portugese...  there must be some more out there somewhere!  I've had a hard time even finding many (good) tutorials on the web, other than your standard "Hello, World!"

Scott Mattocks has written a great book on PHP-GTK: Pro PHP-GTK. It's in English.

If you are loooking for tutorials and sample codes on PHP-GTK, here are two: