1st day at the new job

spiderwell

I managed to land a job as a php developer last week, which i am really happy about.

had my first day today, and my brain feels like its going to explode. the company has 1 developer who is clearly a coding genius (as far as I can tell!) and when showing me how it all works, i got so swamped with code! its a full on cms which covers everything from simple page content to full ecommerce pages, the usual media stuff and much more.

I am not out of my depth, but definately out of my comfort zone! I think I can understand the code, but of course this system he has built up over a few years he has tried to explain to me in a few hours!!, I'm definately need to get my ass in gear!! haha. everything is so modular its amazing. I hope i can just pick it up quick enough that they see me as a good hire!

that said i loved ever minute of it, and just thought I'd share it all with you.

anyone else ever had a job like that? day one is just a big smack in the face!

at least you have someone there to guide you.  My first day on the job has usually involved being hired because the previous 1-man-dev-crew left, so I got to walk in the door and figure out what was going on myself.

The person showing me around just went "blah blah blah" :P

at least you have someone there to guide you.  My first day on the job has usually involved being hired because the previous 1-man-dev-crew left, so I got to walk in the door and figure out what was going on myself.

The person showing me around just went "blah blah blah" :P

lol...thats how it usually is  :o

I got to look at files that had and still have 500+ lines of duplicate code. I now get to bring those 1k line files down to 500 lines! I got to look at blocks that had 20 lines of code that was copied and pasted, then one value was changed, and that is the only difference between the two blocks.

Example:

if(!empty($_POST['something'])){
     echo "<input type='text' value='somevalue' />";
}elseif(empty($_POST['something'])){
     echo "<input type='text' value='' />";
}elseif(isset($_POST['submit'])){
     echo $_POST['something'];
}

Sounds like you had a  great time, and have a very positive attitude towards learning your new role. Great!  My first day at my current job mostly involved building things like my office chair and a pair of development machines.

I know the feeling, and like someone else said I'm sure everyone will go through it. On my first day I was introduced to the company's custom framework - which including the various applications is over about 500,000 lines - with only an outdated functional spec document for help. Was a tough few weeks, and to this day there's still parts of it I've not encountered, but loved the learning experience!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.