Will they remember us ?

Nuv

Painters are known for their paintings

Architects are known for their skyscrapers

Film Directors are known for their movies

Good business man are known for their wealth

Sportsmen are known for their talent

Everyone will remember Google,Facebook etc. No one will remember coders , i ask myself day and night. No one.

Well i code neither for fame nor money. I code because i love it. Each day i 'try' to be good at it and learn it only to satisfy me.

However, i was only wondering if people remember coders. Thanks for all the comments guys.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Bill Gates

Steve Jobs

Mark Zuckerberg

Not necessarily famous strictly because of the code they wrote, but there's no denying their worldwide fame and their impact on the industry.

That said, why does fame matter?

is it just me or are they not programmers?

Mark Zuckerberg was really your average guy who learned php from a few tuts. He hired some real coders to rescript "The Facebook".

Bill Gates is claimed to be more of a opportunist  than a programmer, dont get me wrong he did some wonderful things in the world of programming

Steve Jobs is just a turtle neck guy who presents products in ways that brings orgasm to the ears.

Bill Gates + Steve Jobs + Mark Zuckerberg = Shrewd business men

(with a distinct lack of basic human morality)

Business is no place for morals. :P

I think that programmers can become famous amongst programmers but it takes a special kind to break out into the general public as noteworthy. Linus Torvalds is the only one that I think non-programmers/geeks would know and even then its far from common knowledge. No doubt in the future when people are studying the early years of computers his name will be in the textbook as a person who changed them.

This thread makes me realize that I need to learn who more coders are. I know of the first list from this thread and Michael Lopp and I only know of him through his comics and blog. I apparently underappreciate my own field.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.