Firefox 6?

Adam

I just got a Beta alert about FF6 earlier. Really? I only just installed FF5 a couple of weeks back? Google have kick started some bizarre browser-version competition.. There's barely even been a noticeable difference from 4-6!

Wow... 6 already.  I was surprised when 5 came out.  Maybe they're trying to make it 10 so they can psychologically compete with IE10.  So users won't assume IE10 is better than FF6 because the number is higher.  lol.

This is in fact exactly (and officially) why they are doing it.  It is nothing but a marketing campaign, because unfortunately, lots of people do just look at the version number and think FF is way behind.  So expect rapid updates until they at least catch up to the other browser versions.

Wow... 6 already.  I was surprised when 5 came out.  Maybe they're trying to make it 10 so they can psychologically compete with IE10.  So users won't assume IE10 is better than FF6 because the number is higher.  lol.

This is in fact exactly (and officially) why they are doing it.  It is nothing but a marketing campaign, because unfortunately, lots of people do just look at the version number and think FF is way behind.  So expect rapid updates until they at least catch up to the other browser versions.

Well, it's not exclusively superficial. It does have advantages over just increasing version number.

They announced this as part of their new rapid release development cycle; they're expecting to reach FF7 before the end of the year. It's definitely a good thing.. would be even better if they adopted the chrome auto-updating mechanism.

Well, it's not exclusively superficial. It does have advantages over just increasing version number.

They announced this as part of their new rapid release development cycle; they're expecting to reach FF7 before the end of the year. It's definitely a good thing.. would be even better if they adopted the chrome auto-updating mechanism.

Yah...I mean they are releasing some updates each time, but that's the main reason, and we wouldn't be seeing it updated like this if it were not for that reason.  And since that's not exactly a secret, I wish they would just cut to the chase and make the next release...jump directly up to 10 or whatever and get it over with. 

Yah...I mean they are releasing some updates each time, but that's the main reason, and we wouldn't be seeing it updated like this if it were not for that reason.  And since that's not exactly a secret, I wish they would just cut to the chase and make the next release...jump directly up to 10 or whatever and get it over with. 

It seems to me like the advantages of the rapid release cycle would play into the decision at least as much as the version number. I'm not sure how much the version number really means to people, that would be hard to determine concretely.

It seems to me like the advantages of the rapid release cycle would play into the decision at least as much as the version number. I'm not sure how much the version number really means to people, that would be hard to determine concretely.

well I get to look at web analytics reports and usability tests all the time, and while I admit I haven't seen anything directly related...in my experience, a lot of people really are that stupid.  I think the main bitch I've heard about it though is it constantly breaks addons and shit.

They should use a year like movies do when they want to sound all sci-fi and cool, such as 'Death Race 2000' & '2001 A Space Odyssey'

Firefox 3000 sounds cool, right?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.