GUI or CMD on servers

freelance84

I shall be launching a site soon which will require a dedicated server, hopefully because of mass users ;) but mainly because of a need to receive card payments. All previous sites have been on basic shared hosting... and have used cPanel. After a little digging, i've found that cPanel costs a fair bit of money, and so does its rival.

Is it worth paying the money for the GUI interface over a command prompt?

Hmm ok.

So i need to choose one or the other before i start really then? On the assumption i will be able to use the command line, does anyone know any good starting points?

I will be using a linux server. But i would want to be able to use phpMyAdmin and its GUI though, accessing the database without (although is not overly difficult) seems pointless with phpMyAdmin available to use.

ispconfig is an open-source alternative to cpanel.

TBH when I first came from cPanel to a non-cPanel enviroment that ispconfig's layout & general setup felt more confusing than anything... which I'm glad it did because it ended up driving me to become good friends with the console ;)

Um, by GUI are you talking about an X application? You know, with windows and mouse cursors and all that? Because cPanel and phpMyAdmin are both web applications...

Yea true... ok. I need to read up a lot more than i thought.

phpMyAdmin, is just an application which sits on the linux os right? Can it be launched from the command line? Or does it always have to be launched from another web based application like cPanel, webmin or ispconfig?

Um, by GUI are you talking about an X application? You know, with windows and mouse cursors and all that? Because cPanel and phpMyAdmin are both web applications...

Yea true... ok. I need to read up a lot more than i thought.

phpMyAdmin, is just an application which sits on the linux os right? Can it be launched from the command line? Or does it always have to be launched from another web based application like cPanel, webmin or ispconfig?

phpMyAdmin is a web application like any other php web application. It runs on a web server, just like any other php application.

There is no command line interface to phpMyAdmin, there is however a command line interface to mysql itself.

Many web hosts will setup a dedicated server for you and install WHM / Cpanel or Plesk on it. It's not that expensive IMO but surely the website should pay for itself right? I would not suggest jumping into a raw Linux environment without some experience. I used old PCs and installed CentOs or Fedora on them and played about setting up apache, php, iptables, etc, eventually getting them running as local webservers.

On the other hand there are plenty of VPS's available (Virtual Private Server) that will have their own control panel but give you the complete freedom of using the command line to update configs, etc. The cost is lower than a dedicated machine and they are much better than cheap & nasty shared hosting accounts that have lots of users on them.

Really you should avoid the likes of WHM for hosting a single site as it is designed to manage many users with hosting accounts, just as shared hosts use it. However, if you are familiar with it and may host additional sites on the same server in the future, there shouldn't be a problem.

We have a WHM server that we use to host websites created on our do-it-yourself website builder software. The monthly fees are not large. I think it is actually pretty much the same as our dedicated machines running CentOs, just haggle for a deal on the cPanel license. I think it was roughly about £50 per month for a decent server and then another £10-15 per month for the cPanel WHM licence. That probably equates to about $99 USD per month.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.