PHP6, being released when? The beta is gone.

QuickOldCar

I myself have been waiting for this mysterious php6 version to appear.

The main reason is to properly handle unicode and in all languages.

There used to be a php6 beta version out there, but now the http://snaps.php.net/ no loger exists.

I did try the beta a while back, and yes it had a lot of bugs.

According to wikipedia:

The development of PHP 6 has been delayed because the developers have decided the current approach to handling of instance unicode is not a good one, and are considering alternate ways in the next version of PHP. The updates that were intended for PHP 6 were added to PHP 5.3.0(namespace support, Late Static Bindings, lambda functions, closures, goto) and 5.4.0(traits, closure rebinding) instead.

I think it be easier to create standards over the net that everything must be set to UTF-8 or UTF-16 or their sites won't even display.

Possibly even something on the websites server itself to display as UTF-8 before html output. They can access the correct charsets from their servers, unlike someone visiting them.

It's been so many years of websites using a language specific character set and the browsers along with applications trying to display them correctly. I just feel that sometimes we gotta let old standards die and make way for newer better methods.

So far in my efforts I have been able to get roughly 99% of these charsets properly encoded, but unfortunately..sometimes the wrong, or no charset is set coming from the website itself. That makes for improper coding, not seeing all characters correctly.

Just wanted to inform everyone, the reasons that browsers can detect them all...they have made many types of methods to properly check character encoding and to display them.

I read an article on it a few years ago.

I'm actually amazed the browsers do such a good job. I'm glad in that respect.

If anyone has a complete solution for this, would love to hear it.

I am speaking of using something like curl in php, and no matter what charset or none, it properly saves every single character as utf-8

@MasterACE

I don't see how that is a problem, I mean, yes, people should get with the times, but when I started programming in PHP (my first language), if someone said "good programming practice" I would have said, what's that? Standardising my first website would probably mean a rewrite, and ALOT of people live by the ideal - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". And hosting companies will probably support PHP 4 for a long time to come.

@QuickOldCar

I read that they scrapped it because of arguments over deciding its features, and because UTF-16 meant that strings would use twice the memory of UTF-8 strings.

I see where you're coming from for the servers to convert it to UTF-8/16 before sending the response, however, this would probably take decades to accomplish, the vast majority of servers would have to be updated before browsers could stop supporting other charset's and force the rest to upgrade their server software.

I made a 3dish learn how to drive game on a vic20 in Dos when I was 8, that was back in 1980.

It took forever.

lol started early then, I'm surprised anything 3D-ish could be produced in the 80's, I remember DOS from MS-DOS in Windows 95, I just remember playing C&C Red Alert 1 and everything being twice the size and pixelated, but you lost me with vic20 lol

Commodore vic20 was the computer, 1mhz of power.

I advanced to the commodore 64 as soon as it came out, onto the trs-80, apple 2c, and so on.

Boy i hated the orange colored screens, went back to my green one.

My friends dad was a programmer then, I sat beside him a lot and learned what I could, plus books.

And you are right, I prob could have coined 3d games...but I didn't know.

That's hindsight for you, given the opportunity, I'd go back and register .com domains, easy money, I've read about some domains selling for 7 million. I think the first would be google.com lol

Anyway 2am here, I think I better get some sleep :) Night

For those that weren't on the net in the beginning, it's waaaay better now.

I recall just text, and had to join groups, it was a mess, there was no search whatsoever.

No pictures,sound or image type files like pdf, well there was Aldus (renamed Adobe) after a while, but was way too expensive to buy.

And even dial-up ...for being dial-up was slower, and rarely kept you connected. I think I can still hear those annoying screeches and beeps to this day.

Most people didn't start using the net until windows 95 came along, then more windows 98, and xp was the boom.

Those were the days, Windows 95, Aol software, the small yahoo directory, something can't easily forget. Was a very rough experience, but a large advancement over the previous.

I was on the road in the early 90's with a Toshiba laptop with 486dx processor, windows for workgroups 3.1 and a program called Trumpet Winsock to get connected via TCP/IP over a dialup connection.  I think I had a speedy 2400 baud pcmcia modem card that cost a few hundred bucks then :)

lol started early then, I'm surprised anything 3D-ish could be produced in the 80's, I remember DOS from MS-DOS in Windows 95, I just remember playing C&C Red Alert 1 and everything being twice the size and pixelated, but you lost me with vic20 lol

Just think what things will be like in another 30 odd years.

Just think what things will be like in another 30 odd years.

If my internet is anywhere near as fast as Japan and S.Korea's is now, I'll be happy enough.

Not sure if it's the same for you guys in the USA, but during world war 2 the UK laid down copper phone wiring that rivalled few, maybe none. Korea has no or few existing wires, so laying down fresh is far easier than having to dig up and relay an existing system.. That's why some of the most of the powerful countries in the world seem to be lagging behind those that weren't exactly powerful decades ago. At least that's what I've read somewhere sometime.

Not sure if it's the same for you guys in the USA, but during world war 2 the UK laid down copper phone wiring that rivalled few, maybe none. Korea has no or few existing wires, so laying down fresh is far easier than having to dig up and relay an existing system.. That's why some of the most of the powerful countries in the world seem to be lagging behind those that weren't exactly powerful decades ago. At least that's what I've read somewhere sometime.

Our infrastructure is crap across the board.  Failing bridges, tunnels, dams, water mains, sewage, etc.  And then, there's the empires and small feifdoms of the large and small cable providers.  And, of course, local laws that strangle business.  I live in area that will never get FIOS due to my state's laws.  Verizon only exists as a cell carrier here.  No land line phone, no cable, no internet.

My internet provider has three plans, and I use the middle tier.  It ranks a D on Speedtest.

I was on the road in the early 90's with a Toshiba laptop with 486dx processor, windows for workgroups 3.1 and a program called Trumpet Winsock to get connected via TCP/IP over a dialup connection.  I think I had a speedy 2400 baud pcmcia modem card that cost a few hundred bucks then :)

Yeah I had a 486dx then too, you were "hooked up", that was a good one for the time.

This the one? http://www.biocomp.net/o91721.htm

Believe it or not, there are still people out there using them, and also many others from that era.

A few times I've gotten people bringing me the Texas Instrument laptops and rebadged similar ones, still in use.

Well here in the states, at the rate we're going, in 30 years there won't be a data infrastructure anymore. The music and movie industry will have bought all of the politicians by then, and the  gubmint will have ordered it removed to prevent piracy.

Well here in the states, at the rate we're going, in 30 years there won't be a data infrastructure anymore. The music and movie industry will have bought all of the politicians by then, and the  gubmint will have ordered it removed to prevent piracy.

I'm hoping it goes the exact opposite. I'm hoping that once SOPA epically fails, they will soon just sit down and shut the hell up.

You CANNOT ever stop piracy unless computers cease to exist.

Hackers are always smarter than the government.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.