Setting up a DNS server

rick.emmet

Hi Everyone,

I'm developing an app on an XP Pro machine running XAMPP. I just connected my MacBook Pro and PC together so that I may view the pages (and check the functionality) on a Mac. I would like to have my DNS server on the PC resolve my web address (www.someDomainName). I have never done this - can anyone suggest an article on the subject? Thanks much!

Cheers,

Rick

Just modify your hosts file. There's no sense setting up a DNS for two machines and a single domain.

BTW guys - You're being redundant, when you say DNS server, it's redundant ;)

Like when people say, "ATM machine" . . . :)

I win!:

%APR

A.M. in the  morning

ABM missile

ABS system

AC current

ACT test

ADSL line

APL programing language

BASIC code

CAD design

CNN news

network

DC current

DMZ zone

DOS operating system

GMT time

GOP party

GRE exam

HIV virus

HTML language

ISBN number

ISDN network

LAN network

LED diode

NATO organization

PC Computer

Please RSVP

RAM memory

SAT test

SCSI interface

UPC code

VIN number

I might have erm, cheated.

You Guys!!

I didn't mean to start such a lengthy discussion on acronyms! To funny! So as per usual, when ever I start something new, I don't even know what I don't know. Your help is most appreciated, because when I Googled xampp and DNS servers, I got some strange info, "First you must take every file you want to be seen by other computers out of htdocs and put them in a new DNS folder..."  What?!

I figured that it would be simpler, the suggestion to change my host file makes more sense. I just read an article on the subject and it says that I must add a line of code to the bottom of my "host" file at C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc. Of course, there is a line at the bottom of the file that reads, "127.0.0.1 localhost". Is it a best practice to have a second line after this with my website name, "127.0.0.1 testSite.local" (and any others that should wish to create) or should I instead modify the existing line of code? I suspect the former to be the case. Also, do I write the test site name like "testsite.com.local" or" testsite.local"?

Of course I will write the code to the Apache configuration file at C:\xampp\apache\conf\extra. Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Rick

PS Yes, I do have a DNS server (see, you got me doing that again!), it comes with the XAMPP installation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.