new site, wanting advice

Ninjakreborn

One of a side website I am going to build, in my spare time, as part of a network of site's I am going to build
1. for fun
2. to enhance my portfolio
3. Just to get some practice.
I am wanting to build something with the good/combined functionality of
www.videogames.com
www.gamefaqs.com
and
www.gamesages.com
atleast.
This is going to be a massive, massive, massively sized website, with lot's and lot's of functionality.  Unlike the which the video game community has ever seen, but it'll be totally free, and since it's going to be huge.  There might be a paid account but I doubt it, I was wanting advice on added functionality, or what you like/dislike about gamefaqs, or gamespot, so I can mimick some of the functionality, while expanding out in other way's that I have in mind.

let me get this right. this project is not only the biggest project you've ever done, but unlike anything the gaming community has ever seen, yet:
1) you're doing it for fun on the side in your spare time
2) by asking about those other 3 sites, you dont know what your site will be/look like

well, i say good luck to you. i'd personally try concentrating on your own site first and make sure you get that right, considering it's your "showcase", and then try and take on something like this. the term "biting off more than you can chew" springs to mind right now.

as for your question, i personally dislike the style of most gaming sites (the first and third being good examples of such) but the second (gamefaqs) does look good, IMO.

Why the hell do you people think I am some sort of damn joke.
You think I am some kind of funny kid, that doesn't know what the hell he's doing.
Either way I carry 16 hour work day's I study all the time, I think I know a little more than the basics of what I am talking about, and what I am doing.
I want to start something up for fun, in my spare time, I don't do graphic design anymore, I have someone to do that for me, as far as functionality, it'll take me about a year, with all I want to do on it, but it's not hard getting the "functionality" of gamespot, or gamefaqs.  Most of the stuff on those are basic feature's, just put together in a good manner.  Everytime I come on here, I don't feel like people thinking I am a damn joke about everything I talk about.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=115249.msg469684#msg469684 date=1163787883]
Why the hell do you people think I am some sort of damn joke.
[/quote]
you're not unique, lad - everyone's a joke when they put there head on the block and don't back up their claims/goals, in ANY walk of life. we've heard countless stuff from you, all promising big things and claims to know this and that, yet you have nothing to back up your claims and your own personal site still whiffs a bit of cheap aftershave masking a sloppy fart. the advice and opinions you've had on it so far have been enough to turn your site into a multi award winning example of Web genius and the site that everyone says 'look, go here - its a great example of how things should be done!', only most of that advice has been pushed aside.
and then you say that those game sites are easy to copy their functionality - whiffs a bit of sarcasm.

you wanted advice, you got it. if you dont want the hard advice too, or you want people to be nicey nicey and give you false encouragement/hope, go to Bebo or something.

otherwise, take it on the chin, laugh it off and [b]proove us wrong, please!![/b]

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know you, nor do I recall any other posts by you, but I must whole heartedly agree with redbullmarky on this one as far as your current post is concerned and since he is a pretty good judge of character IMHO I would have to think that he is right on with the rest of his response, so prove him and everyone else wrong.  The simple fact is you talk about how everything is simple and trying to prove how great you are with empty words.  That may impress everyone else you know, but you are talking to people who have been there and done that.  I personally was a computer technician in the marine corps as well as many years of experience in the civilian world in networking, programming and general tech.  I've done more in the last 23 years than most of the 40+ that I know...is anyone here impressed?...nope...I can tell you all the things I've done and the places I've been, but they are just words since no one here knows me outside of these forums to confirm what I say.  I let the work I've done and the help I have provided speak for itself and hope it says good things about me to everyone here.

Take your project...run with it...give us an update and let's see what it says about you.  If you need some help with coding we are all here to provide you the support you need, but it is up to you to put it to use.  Let's see all those hours of studying hard put to use.

[quote author=txmedic03 link=topic=115249.msg476774#msg476774 date=1164950345]
Take your project...run with it...give us an update and let's see what it says about you.  If you need some help with coding we are all here to provide you the support you need, but it is up to you to put it to use.  Let's see all those hours of studying hard put to use.
[/quote]

Beautifully put. I like you.

Businessman, I have a suggestion for you, and I hope that you'll take it to heart. People will be much more eager to help you with this project when they see some headway being made. One rule of thumb that I've always tried to follow was this: Get something working, first. Then you can ask for a formal review so we can dig into it and put a concentrated effort out. But we need you to realize something: We lose interest rapidly if we see that our efforts are for nought. We don't make suggestions for the simple joy of making your life miserable. We make suggestions because we honestly, truly think that they are improvements. Please do your best to implement our suggestions, even if you don't like them. If you decide that you really don't like them, then tell us so - but please give us a valid reason.

Quite honestly, I would be very excited to see something of this caliber produced by anybody on these forums. I'm sure there are dozens of people fully capable of putting this together, but few of them have the time or inclination to follow through with it. I'm looking forward to having something to look at. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.