Thumbs Up/Down

I think it would be cool if we could thumbs up/down a reply to a post. If we think it's a really good idea, we might want to chime in, but a post just to say I agree is a little unnecessary - thumbs up/down could be a cool way to support/reject a suggestion to a problem. 

So it would be like Karma, but per post. I like it. Now we need a way to implement it, though, and I don't know if A) Such a mod exists, and B) If the admins are willing to install and maintain it.

[b]Edit:[/b] Condition C is that there's a general interest in the idea, of course.

Condition C is definitely a problem -- no one but the mods would really bother, except for annoying posters who would thumbs down everyone they don't like.  Not that I think it shouldn't be in place, I'm just wondering what we would gain from such a mod.

Pro: It has the potential to reduce the amount of "I agree" posts.

Con: In reality, it probably [i]won't[/i] reduce the amount of "I agree" posts.

Con: It's a variation of the karma system, which has already been determined to be a feature not good enough to impliment. 

In short, it looks like another feature that looks good on paper, but in reality just wouldn't work out.

I kind of sort of like the way devshed's mod works.  On each post there is a little scale and when you click on it, there's a popup, where you can add/take away "rep points" and the amount of rep points you can add/take away is based on your "rep power" - which is based on how many positive rep points you yourself have. 

In addition to this "karma" system, there's a radio box to choose "I agree/disagree" and a text input to give your reasons why. You get a fair amount of space to type, like around 250 chars or something.  When you submit, it adds your comments inside the targe post inside a little quote style box labeled "comments on this post."

But again...I still feel this mod is little more than a spruced up karma system.  I mean, I suppose since it would be some other site's cup of tea to use it, it would make for a good mod for you to make, Juan.  But as far as phpfreaks is concerned...again, people decided the karma system wasn't working out. 

Maybe a mod like this would be useful though. I will agree that there have been plenty of times that I've read a post that I slightly agreed/disagreed on, and didn't necessarily feel it warranted a new post to express my opinion. 

However, adding comments to posts in this fashion, doesn't really do a whole lot for the people who have already visited the thread.  How many people do you know who actually go back and re-read previous posts in threads?  It would certainly be useful for future readers though. 

Well I wouldn't use the karma feature.  I was thinking more in the lines of "Was this post useful?".  Like they have in experts-exchange.  That you can mark if the response was useful or not.  Only the topic starter would be allowed to mark a reply as useful or as the correct answer to solve the problem.  The second mod would be like a digg type thing.  I really like the second one though.  I might write it one of these days.  It's real simple actually.

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=121864.msg508489#msg508489 date=1169200853]
remind me - is experts-exchange the one that has green text next to one of the replies saying "Accepted answer" or am I thinking of something else? I like that idea. It's a nice quick way for people to dive in and go straight to the answer.
[/quote]
Yes that's exactly it.

[quote author=redbullmarky link=topic=121864.msg508489#msg508489 date=1169200853]
remind me - is experts-exchange the one that has green text next to one of the replies saying "Accepted answer" or am I thinking of something else? I like that idea. It's a nice quick way for people to dive in and go straight to the answer.
[/quote]
That gets my vote.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.