Clip from camcorder to computer

HoTDaWg

hey guys,

i need to figure out a way so that i can upload videos from my camorder to my computer. Will i need a specific software to do the transfer and a usb chord? Also, I was wondering if anyone knows a software that can enable me to change the background in an uploaded clip. Price is not a concern. My deadline is approaching any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

HoTDaWg ;D

My dad got me something awhile back.  For christmas, he came over and brought something that solved my problems
(Whether it's computer to computer, camera to computer).  If it has usb capabilities, you can use it.
It's called
USB 2.0 Travel Drive.  Mine is 2 gigabytes, but they come in like 6-8.  They aren't too expensive, and you would never have to worry about doing any type of transfers, as long as it's a fairly modern day computer.
Windows Xp, ME, and a few others.  It's not supported on 98, but the newer versions are, it has to have a USB port, if your computer is the right requirement, and if your camera has a USB plus, then it will be very easy for you to do it.

If you need more advice on it, or finding one (hooking it up), just ask here.  If your computer wouldn't meet the requirements, then maybe your camera came with something (As crayon violent suggested about checking the manual), there are other options, you can get a standard transfer USB/Ethernet cable to transfer the data to it.

Well I mention reading the manual or going to the manufacturer's website for all those reasons you listed businessman.  He asked how he would get his video from his camcorder to his pc, but didn't bother to provide a brand make or model, nor his own pc's specs.  It could be some 15 year old camcorder that uses standard sized vhs tapes for all we know.  It might not even have a usb output, or even an a/v output.  How should we know? I don't know about you, but my crystal ball is still in the shop, so I'm still having to rely on people to tell me these sort of things....

I use this (well, an older version of) to connect older camcorders & ps2/xbox to the pc for recording:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+DVD+Recorder.htm

That won't do everything... but if you tell us what you have, we might be able to help you better ;)

That's true, So in a sense,  I was just offering recent experience I had recently with transferring data between 2 systems.
Maybe that will help some, however I do agree, he should have offered more information, it would have been easier to help him.
So in essence

What kind of camcorder do you have (age, make, peripherals(ports, ex cetera)?
What kind of computer do you have (Operating system, peripherals)?

[quote]Peripheral - A computer device, such as a CD-ROM drive or printer, that is not part of the essential computer, i.e., the memory and microprocessor. Peripheral devices can be external -- such as a mouse, keyboard, printer, monitor, external Zip drive or scanner -- or internal, such as a CD-ROM drive, CD-R drive or internal modem. Internal peripheral devices are often referred to as integrated peripherals.[/quote]
Please don't use words that are outside of your vocabulary.

[quote]Please don't use words that are outside of your vocabulary.[/quote]
??? How would you specifically know my level of vocabulary.  Technically not knowing what level of high school I completed/Did not complete, whether I did, or did not go to college.  What I study, and have not studied.

Not a very nice thing to say, if you were joking nevermind, but if you were saying that to be rude then shame on you for picking on other people that said nothing about you....

After sitting back and thinking about it for a minute, no, I don't feel I misused the word.

I had a specific thought as to what it's definition meant.  I wasn't fully informed of it when I used the term, so I had to check to reinforce my opinion.  So I did my own search on the term, and it's different meanings from wikipedia's website.
[quote]
List of common peripherals

* Storage
          o Removable (Writes/reads portable media)
                + CD
                      # CD-ROM
                      # CD-RW
                      # CD-R
                + DVD
                      # DVD-ROM
                      # DVD-RW
                      # DVD-R
                + USB flash drive
                + Tape drive
                + Floppy disk
                + Punch card
          o Internal
                + Disk array controller
    * Input
          o Manual
                + Keyboard
                + Pointing devices
                      # Mouse
                      # Trackball
                + Joystick
                + Touch screen
                + Joypad
          o Brain-computer interface
          o Image scanner
          o Computer terminal
          o Computer speech recognition
          o Webcam
          o Digitizing tablet
          o Barcode reader
    * Output
          o Printing
                + Plotter
                + Printer
                + Braille embosser
          o Sound
                + Computer speech synthesis
                + Sound card
                + Speakers
                + Microphone
          o Visual
                + Graphics card
                + Monitor
          o Refreshable Braille display
    * Networking
          o Modem
          o Network card
    * Expansion
          o docking station[/quote]
A usb flash drive in specific I was talking about (If he had a connector on either his camera, or his computer.  Plus other things that he could have had, that would have helped. All listed here.
With a modem, he could have transferred the data via an internet cable.
Network card he could have done it that way,

[quote]* Storage
          o Removable (Writes/reads portable media)
                + CD
                      # CD-ROM
                      # CD-RW
                      # CD-R
                + DVD
                      # DVD-ROM
                      # DVD-RW
                      # DVD-R
                + USB flash drive
                + Tape drive
                + Floppy disk
                + Punch card
          o Internal
                + Disk array controller[/quote]
Those seem logically, all methods that can be used to transfer information from his Camera, to his Computer, assuming they have the proper (as I called it) peripherals.

[quote]Disk drive is a peripheral device used to read from and write to a disk[/quote]
Also off of wikipedia, which is another thing that can be used.  If he had the proper perripherals, or knowing his peripherals, could have been the knowledge I needed to help point him in the right direction.

This is why I feel I had the right usage of the term.

[quote author=businessman332211 link=topic=122497.msg505327#msg505327 date=1168886495]
peripherals(ports, ex cetera)?
[/quote]
I took that to mean that you were calling "ports" peripherals (which they are not).  Also, it's "et cetera"...

Ok, guys, I think we've got that particular dispute taken care of, now let's see if we have any suggestions to take care of the original problem.

HoTDaWg: I suspect that you won't need any software to transfer your videos. However, a Mini-USB cable is most likely in order, or a Flash memory reader. If you're lucky, the camcorder will treat its storage device as just that - a storage device, and when you make the USB connection, the computer will see the attached camcorder as a removable storage device. At which point, you should be able to just copy the files from the device to your computer.

Hmm...a valiant effort businessman, but I don't quite buy it.  Are you [i]really[/i] sure you meant to use 'peripherals?' I mean, The camcorder itself would be considered a peripheral, and I don't contest a flash drive being labeled a peripheral, but that's not what we really need from the OP. 

We need to know things like if his computer and camcorder have usb ports or av i/o jacks or a dv i/o for which they can physically connect. That's the type of stuff we are trying to find out, right? I think a more proper term would be "hardware interface."

[quote]Hmm...a valiant effort businessman, but I don't quite buy it.  Are you really sure you meant to use 'peripherals?' I mean, The camcorder itself would be considered a peripheral, and I don't contest a flash drive being labeled a peripheral, but that's not what we really need from the OP.

We need to know things like if his computer and camcorder have usb ports or av i/o jacks or a dv i/o for which they can physically connect. That's the type of stuff we are trying to find out, right? I think a more proper term would be "hardware interface."[/quote]

It could be, that is what I was referring to if that'what you mean.  What plugs it was able to hold, whether it held usb, or ethernet,  ??? Maybe I did have an improper use of it.

[b]Update:[/b]
I have a Canon ZR80 i purchased it 4 years ago and i barely use it, it is in mint condition. and my computer is windows XP and is very very up to date.

my mom threw away the manual, but i found the online version here:
http://www.starbatteries.com/cazrmicaowma.html

heres the problem guys, according to the table of contents on the manual, i guess the only way is to get a DV link cable but as you can see here they can reach up to $80:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10015942&catid=20055#
i dont at all wanna pay $80 just for a stupid wire especially when i only need it for one project.
so i guess what i am saying is [b]is there anyway i can upload videos onto my camcorder without buyign the wire?[/b]
thanks again guys.

HoTDaWg
also, once uploaded, does anyone know what software i might need to change the background in a video? Like for example, instead of the background in the video being my garage using a software can i somehow change the background to like paris or something? thanks.

No. You don't need the wire at all. Instead, have your computer and your camcorder each start a little fire so they can send smoke signals to each other.

Is there a particular reason why you searched bestbuy, or is that just a random search result you pulled?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=IEEE+1394&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

Since the bestbuy link was bestbuy.ca, here's the tigerdirect.ca link to the same search results CV pulled: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=ieee+1394&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

The lesson to be learned here is: Don't buy from BestBuy if you can help it. They rip you off shamelessly.

you know, I read your last sentence neylitalo:

"They rip you off shamelessly"

and my mind immediately decided to read it as thus:

"They off you shamelessly: R.I.P."

I have no idea how this bears any relavence to the topic, but maybe it's like, an omen or something.  Kind of like when an old fortune teller lady points her finger at you and screams "deeeeaaathhh!!!" or something.  Or Ron. 

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=122497.msg505863#msg505863 date=1168928048]
No. You don't need the wire at all. Instead, have your computer and your camcorder each start a little fire so they can send smoke signals to each other.

Is there a particular reason why you searched bestbuy, or is that just a random search result you pulled?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=IEEE+1394&image1.x=0&image1.y=0
[/quote]
well i noramlly trust best buy cuz they are pretty light on returns, they are everywhere, and i don ttrust online stores. its a family hatred-tradition. but how can i start this little fire? or were u being sarcastic?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.