Retreat Site for friend

Jessica

I recently redid an old friend's site, he liked the design, just wanted to see what some other people thought. Design is not my area, so please let me know your thoughts.

Harris Brake Retreats:
http://harrisbrakeretreats.com/

Hiya!

When I think about things too long, I tend to give twisted views of things, so my quick-opinion on things would be:

I was afraid of their being too much blue, but that didn't really distract me once I got looking at the other pages.
There was a lot of text.  I read the quote on the right before I read anything significant in the body of the text, although the bullets did help direct my attention a little.
The navigation was direct - I like that.
Although you had a photos section, why was the rest of the pages "bare"?  The image in the upper-right corner was great, but the body of each page was a little too dominated with words.

I don't HATE words, but we don't get along. 

My 2 cents.  Spend them as you will.  :)

Three quick suggestions, two are painless:

increase the line height on the text content to 150% - it'll be an easier read;
use a matching blue colored bullet in the lists;
use a random image next too the header on each page instead of always the same one.

If you're in the mood, improve accessibility on the form (tabindex, labels, etc) and in text by including title attributes for the text links.

Thanks guys.
Deltran - Thanks, I will talk to him about sprinkling some photos in. I don't like the photos because they're so poor quality, and he's taking more soon, so we'll have to put them all over the site :)

Andy - good idea on the image - I'd have to code that to generate the background image each time, because of the border and tilt, so I'd like to avoid something that would take too long. Your other suggestions I will do.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.