phpinfo problem

Ninjakreborn

First time this ever happened.

I got www.wampserver.com/en
I downloaded the newest version, and installed it on my labtop.  I didn't intend for this to go live (on the internet or something), but I wanted a local area I could study while off work hours, as well as work on my frameowkr.

Taking my file's back and forth between computers using a flash drive.

I completely installed wamp server.

(This was working yesterday)
it's on a windows xp professional system (it's my computer operating system.

I installed wamp, everything works.  However when I try to load phpinfo inside any page it doens't work.

if I do
<?php
echo "hello world";
?>
hello work works, but if I do
<?php
echo "hello world";
phpinfo();
?>
or
<?php
phpinfo();
?>
or anything, it stops the page from coming up, it does either 1-2 things.

1. It will sit there and go through loading 5-6-7-8-9-10 time's over then stop.
2. It comes up with page not found, that's it.

Anything witht eh funciton phpinfo does not come up, I already checked and the function isn't diabled in the php.ini file.

Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I am 100% sure of that.
I tried everything, restarting the services, and everything.

Everything works as long as the function phpinfo isn't on the page, then it can't find it or loads it over and over again forever.

I am 100% I did both of those, I also poured through httpd config and php.ini and nothing that would cause that.

Any other ideas?  It sometimes does come up but rarely if ever, if phpinfo isn't present on the screen it works perfectly anyway.

I know for a fact safemode isn't on, I played with some of the settings awhile too.
It wasn't working, the reason I wanted the laptop to have php on it, is because I don't have time to study much, or work on my framework, I need to start only working on projects.

I went to test the affects of iniset on the phpinfo page, to see if I noticed changes (basically trying to see if the framework was making those changes), and nothing I could do would get the php page to show up.

It was either, page not found.

Or it kept loading the page, over and over again (never showing the info), like if it had gotten thrown into an infinite loop.

I have attached the php.ini file.

Thanks for taking a look for me, I hope I can figure it out.  I tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the apache service.  However it had no effect (except threw it for a loop for like 40 minutes (wasn't working)

Also I am sure display errors is on, the error reporting is at the right level.  However the problem is, when the page come's up it doesn't even show the page, so if there were error's it couldn't show them because hte page never loads.

There was something called y2k compliance enabled in INI I had never seen set before, I took that off, tried it again it dind't work, so I resetted ini to it's default.

[attachment deleted by admin]

display_errors = On
^
^
^ cut and paste from your php.ini

I dont know much about wamp and how they configured it. I actually configured my windows and linux servers myself but if you want a quick fix have you thought about giving xampp a try?

Xampp can be a bit bloated but i always found it to be very reliable.

For right now, I want to see if anyone knows what is causing this.

What I REALLY want is
Apache 2, Mysql 4+, PHP 5+,
But I want to get one bundled with ALL the extensions,
Curl, gdlib, math, mcrypt, xml, and other stuff.

I want to get one bundled with all of them.

Steelman - I have made sure I retained the original settings 100%.

I have windows xp professional version 2002 on the laptop, or somethign like that.

I don't know, the original information has been left intact.
I did the original install.

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=124424.msg516131#msg516131 date=1170084306]
i have used WAMP5 server and phpinfo works perfectly for me.  Which means you have deviated your settings from the initial install settings
[/quote]
Same here.  I downloaded it, clicked the install button, left everything as default, and it worked right out of the box. No having to tweak nothin', no having to google some issue or ask some question to figure out why something won't work..nothin'.  So I'm not trying to imply nothin' here, so please don't take it the wrong way, but honestly, I don't see how someone can screw up installing WAMP. 

Ok, here are my points.

* I am 100% everything was left at it's default, untouched settings during installation.
* I am 100% that is what the name of my system says.  I went into control panel, system, and right there, it says
System
windows xp professional version 2002
* I have installed wamp before like this, ona nother server.

It worked entirely no problems.

Well then I guess some cosmic fluke might have happened.  Maybe some error occured in the download process that cause a single bit of data to be lost or something, and that single bit of data happened to be whatever mechanism involved in showing your phpinfo.  I mean sure, that sounds incredibly unlikely; laughably unlikely even, but it's not impossible... so maybe you should uninstall it, go back and download it and try again.  Surely lightening won't strike the same place twice.

Um, in all fairness, my system (my laptop, not a dev machine) is also
"Windows XP
Professional Version
2002"

Most people wouldn't think to include that year number on the end, and it won't make a difference. He's using XP Pro,

Ok
good advice, forget what I have.

I looked back
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html
Looks better than I thought.

Here is my question.

I want
mysql 4+
php 5+
which is has all of that in Xampp.

I am really wanting all the external libraries,

If you look at that file there are 3 packages
basic, dev, upgraded version

Is hte upgraded one the one that includes the most libraries
are there any external libraries it doesn't have.

I want to really get all the one's with php.

Curl, xml, gblib, math, mcrypt.

I want to get them all in one install.  Or atleast most of them, is this something xxamp will give me, or do I HAVE to do my own full installation.

I like XXamp a lot more too, because of the stuff it come's with it also looks like more libraries are built in.

Just looking for some direction.

Thanks.

So you're going to give up on WAMP, just like that?  So what happens if you have issues installing Xampp?  Are you gonna go find something else?  If you don't take the time to figure out what is wrong and fix it, you will never learn anything.

You wonder why people get frustrated with you.  Well that's why, right there.  People offer advice and try to help, and you casually push it to the side, without even making an effort.  Now you can argue that you are making an effort.  You can argue that you spent hours, days, weeks on it.  But I refuse to believe that you are making a serious effort...unless you just aren't capable of doing it.  Are you not capable of doing it?

I just don't get how you managed to phuge WAMP up! Just do a reinstall don't jump from package to another either and always remove any traces of a package you have installed. If it helps watch this vid tutorial [url=http://www.phpvideotutorials.com/lesson01/]here[/url] for installing WAMP.

To enable different extensions for PHP just edit the php.ini - most common extensions (should) come with PHP. If they don't just go to php.net download php (make sure its the same version) again (make sure its not the installer! Get the zipped binaries) and the just extract the extension folder out of the zip to PHP's installation folder.

However IMO depending on how well you are with computers I prefer a manual install of Apache, PHP and MySQL. if you do that you will get a much better understanding on how these work.

[code]So you're going to give up on WAMP, just like that?  So what happens if you have issues installing Xampp?  Are you gonna go find something else?  If you don't take the time to figure out what is wrong and fix it, you will never learn anything.[/code]
Ok, I am about to install one.

The reason I am thinking of XXAmp, isn't because of htat problem.

It's because of this

* I want to get as many libraries included with it as I can.

That's what I am wanting to do.

I talked to redbullmarky about it awhile, I was destroying my career by studying, working on my framework, working on personal stuff during work hours.  I wanted to setup a server on my laptop, transfer files via flash drive, I can send them from one computer to another without a problem.

I was going to study anything I study on the laptop, and work only during work hours.

THat is what I was trying to do.

I want to install one that give's the most amount of libraries included.

[quote]Function Reference[/quote]
Looking at all the functions under php.net, I don't need any of the database specific one's except mysql.
However other libraries, I do want to get, for example.

All the non-database related function libraries.

I look at the wampserver website.

I don't see it saying which one's are installed, so even if I wanted to, Ic ouldn't find the dll's I am missing and put them in.  This is one thing.

Looking at XXamp (which someone offered advice about earlier in this post

it actually lists a lot of the one's I wanted, (but not all of them), whatever guidance you offer at this point to get what I want, and get it working, I will do.

Any help is appreciated.

[quote]I just don't get how you managed to phuge WAMP up! Just do a reinstall don't jump from package to another either and always remove any traces of a package you have installed. If it helps watch this vid tutorial here for installing WAMP.

To enable different extensions for PHP just edit the php.ini - most common extensions (should) come with PHP. If they don't just go to php.net download php (make sure its the same version) again (make sure its not the installer! Get the zipped binaries) and the just extract the extension folder out of the zip to PHP's installation folder.

However IMO depending on how well you are with computers I prefer a manual install of Apache, PHP and MySQL. if you do that you will get a much better understanding on how these work.[/quote]
I swear on PHP, that I did the exact normal installation, with all the normal settings.

Ok, for installing Apache, PHP, Mysql.  I want to do a normal manual install then, however will I still have access to everything.

What do I need to do in order to get that.

I mean, I go to apache's website, and download Apache 2

I go to mysql, and should I get 4 or 5

Then I go to php's website, and get php 5+ (earliest version of 5)
does it come with all the stuff with it, or not.

Is that all I need.
Just apache 2+, mysql 4+, php 5+
Plus carry a few tutorials on how to install it over into the laptop, so I have somethign to go by.

How do I know what libraries PHP 5 come bundled with, adn which one's I need to get (that I don't have)

??

[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=124424.msg516261#msg516261 date=1170095211]
So you're going to give up on WAMP, just like that?  So what happens if you have issues installing Xampp?  Are you gonna go find something else?  If you don't take the time to figure out what is wrong and fix it, you will never learn anything.

You wonder why people get frustrated with you.  Well that's why, right there.  People offer advice and try to help, and you casually push it to the side, without even making an effort.  Now you can argue that you are making an effort.  You can argue that you spent hours, days, weeks on it.  But I refuse to believe that you are making a serious effort...unless you just aren't capable of doing it.  Are you not capable of doing it?
[/quote]

So you are telling him to go and learn WAMP?? that is the dumbest idea I have heard. People use WAMP and things like it because they require no effort to setup. It is stupid to learn WAMP and if you wanted to tell him to learn something tell him to start learning apache\php\sql administration but that said, administration and programming are different jobs for a good reason.....

At this point, I don't really mind using anything.

Wamp, XXAmp, self install, all I want is the following

* php 5+
* mysql 4+
* Apache 2*
* All the Php extensions, and external libraries I can safely get
* Something that works
Whether I can use wamp auto-install, XXamp auto install, or manually do the whole thing.

I am not a server tech, I really never want to be. I want to know the basics of apache (very, very few basics), and the basics of configuring php/mysql, but other than that, I want to stay away from servers.

It takes up to many resources.

Anyone have advice offer, on how to get those.
If I do the following
* go to apache's website, get apache 2+
* INstall it first
* Download php 5+, mysql 4+, phpmyadmin
* INstall them all
* Test them, configure them

Then assume it's up and running, setup, and working correctly.  What happens next.  What libraries, do I need to look into to get the rest, is there a special program I can download, or zip file that will have copies of ALL the libraries Iw ould need/want in one place, so I can just empty them all in the right place, and setup php to work with them.?

If I go ahead and reinstall wamp or xxamp, which one is going to give me more of the external libraries?

Thanks for the advice?

[quote author=Nameless12 link=topic=124424.msg516336#msg516336 date=1170100340]
[quote author=Crayon Violent link=topic=124424.msg516261#msg516261 date=1170095211]

[/quote]

So you are telling him to go and learn WAMP?? that is the dumbest idea I have heard. People use WAMP and things like it because they require no effort to setup. It is stupid to learn WAMP and if you wanted to tell him to learn something tell him to start learning apache\php\sql administration but that said, administration and programming are different jobs for a good reason.....
[/quote]

Why are you being a jackass? That's not what I said and you know it. 

If I do the following then it will give me everything I need.

Go to

http://httpd.apache.org/
Download version  2.2.4

2. Go to mysql's website
download the newest 4+ version

3. Go to phpmyadmin
Download the newest version

Go to php.net

((NOTE 1 HERE ))

5. Put all the file's (with some tutorials) on my flash drive.

install them in this order on my laptop
apache, php, mysql, phpmyadmin
test them
Then install extensions and test them

Ok Now, here is the question I had up there for note 1

What do I download at www.php.net

[quote]PHP 5.2.0
Complete Source Code

* PHP 5.2.0 (tar.bz2) [6,631Kb] - 02 Nov 2006
      md5: e6029fafcee029edcfa2ceed7a005333
    * PHP 5.2.0 (tar.gz) [8,382Kb] - 02 Nov 2006
      md5: 52d7e8b3d8d7573e75c97340f131f988

Windows Binaries

* PHP 5.2.0 zip package [9,433Kb] - 02 Nov 2006
      md5: 910734e96f41190020272d80b82ce553
    * PHP 5.2.0 installer [18,879Kb] - 02 Nov 2006
      md5: 1521d6e9b273299ebd8081d174146d22
    * Collection of PECL modules for PHP 5.2.0 [2,202Kb] - 02 Nov 2006
      md5: 638f5997884ae3ce35d2b3ec12f399b2

We have a PHP 5 / Zend Engine 2 page explaining the language level changes introduced in PHP 5. The PHP 5 ChangeLog details all the other changes. [/quote]
Ok, what is the different between complete source code, and the other.
I know php installer is an auto installed, what is the difference between package, installer, and modules.
Which should I get, you said the package, so I should install that right there
PHP 5.2.0 Zip Pacakge
Then all the PECL modules.

IS that everything I wanted, does that have curl, mcrypt, ftp functions, xml functions, pdf creation functions, math library, gd library, and all that other good stuff (there are a lot more than that, but those are what I remember off the top of my head.

Thanks for the guidance.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.