wamp installation problems

Ninjakreborn

I got all the stuff I mentioned and
http://www.webmasterstop.com/86.html
That tutorial, I followed everything up until php.
I installed wamp, mysql
and now I installed php, or tried to, apache is giving me some error

[quote]OS 10048
One usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permited.
:make_sock could not bind to address 0.0.0.0.80 unable to open logs[/quote]
So far I installed apache, it worked, htdocs tested, and localhost worked.

THen I installed mysql, didn't know how to test it so was goign to wait for phpmyadmin to truly test it.
Then I started following his instructions for php
I hadn'e gotten down to pecl yet, but I couldn't get php itself to work.
First it told me another error, so I read PHP installation instructions it said for that version the proper file was php 2_2 when I changed that in htpconfig (whatever) it finally stopped giving me ht file syntax error and started giving me that error.

No, apache itself worked, and I tested the htdocs file through the browser using localhost, it all worked fine.

Then I installed mysql, then php, then when I tried to use apache again, it came back with errors, right after mysql/php install.

I jsut reinstalled mysql again, because I had errors the first time, I got it installed properly that time, but apache is still returning the same error, it happened after php was an attempted install.

There is nothign else running on this machine

2 video games, and they haven't been opened in awhile.

The only other hting is adobe reader, and a zip programmer.

That is all that is on there.

I'm thinking you're trying to start another instance of apache instead of restarting it. If you're surely restarting it, it could be having trouble restarting. A few things to do: stop it using the apachectl program (apachectl stop) and then start it. (apachectl start) If that doesn't work, try apachectl stop, look in the processes (ctrl+alt+del, processes tab) and see if you have any processes called apache or httpd. Kill those, and then try starting apache.

Ok perfect, I had some problems with php, but got them worked out, I will post here agian if anything else happens while setting up pecl, or mysql, or phpmyadmin.

Thanks that was really helpful, I checked processes, that file was open, I fiddled with it some after closing it, apache opened.
Then I went ahead and tried, it didn't give me an error but it didn't work either, so after I restarted the computer itself it worked fine.

Now phpinfo also displays, I am going to play around with it some more, get mysql, phpmyadmin installed, and hte pecl library, if any more problems arise I will post them here, thanks for the help.

Um do I have bad luck with servers

It worked perfectly.
Everything worked, then I went and dumped the contents of the pecl zip file into c:/php/ext
then I went ahead and uncommented all the functions that are there, now it's acting buggy.

IT's not working, hello world php script come's up, but nothing with phpinfo() works
What do I do now.
Is there a library I am not suppose to have.

Ok, I made a little progress.

However, all of a sudden it's not even dynamically loading the extentions.

I did the default install it's in
c:\PHP
the extensions are in C:\php\ext
However it's not working, in the ini I Set
doc_root =
user_dir =
extension_dir = "./"
enable_db = On
however when I restart apache, it comes up with the name of each library one at a time, telling me it's not working, I don't understand.  It tells me they can't be found, what am I doing wrong with this part.

I looked through the manual and deleted one extension in Ini file that said NT only.

The rest I made sure I had everythign tha was bundled, the few that weren't came in the pecl library.

I was wondering how to get the other's working.

Thanks.  I just need to figure it out, by the way
My apache isntallation was at the default
C:\program files\Apache Software Foundation\Apache2.2

All I need to do is get it to find the libraries, then finally get it to show up on the page, it might after I get them finding the libraries again??

Thanks

Uh, shit.
I pissed off apache.

I copied all the file's from c:/php/ext and pasted them in the c:/php
and then in system 32 under windows (on the computer), i read it somewhere,

Now apache is giving me some unexpected server error.
SO now it's still asking for all the libraries because it can't find them, and crashing at the end with unexpected error message.

Are you sure I shouldn't install wamp, I stopped work at 7 and started the installation process
4 hours later I am full of problems.

A lot of frustration

Thanks for any feedback, I will try again tomorrow I guess from scratch if need be.

Ok, I got everything out of system 32, restarted.

Apache works again, but I am back at square 1 with php
It's giving me errors on every library alive, about 20-30 errors come up about can't find librares.

Ok any advice appreciated, if nothing works early tomorrow time to install XXAmp and give it a try

Grr
5 hours, pure aggravation.

I have done all of that.

You may have never heard of it, but as I stated, I know intermediate stuff about software/hardware.

I do web development, setting up server's just doesn't work.

Yes, I have done everything with the INI file, that I needed.

using that tutorial and reading the instructions (i downloaded the php manual on my laptop)
I don't know forget this, I am not good at servers.

I installed apache, I installed mysql, I installed php, and I am back at square one problems.

Yes I learnt quite a bit, but in the end, I got nowhere but 5-6 hours I could have been playing video games

It's something with me and server's we don't get along.

I have to figure something out.

I guess I will try xxamp tonight, if it doesn't work I am just going to wait.

You can tell me I need to stick with it and learn, but I tried wamp, after 4 hours it didn'twork, after trying a manual install for 5 hours it didn't work, there has to be a time period, where you say to hell with it.

Especially when it's for personal purposes.  Thanks for all the help so far, I did learn quite a bit.

how can you say your learned if you didn't get it working? What exactly did you learn, failure? Why don't you try with IIS?  All you have to do is pop in your windows XP 2002 disk and open add/remove programs/add windows components and choose IIS from the list.  Then, go to php.net and download php, follow the direction on php.net.  Then, download mysql from mysql.com and install following those directions provided on mysql.com.  The last thing you will have to do if you are using php5 is configure IIS with the ISAPI filters.  THis should be documented on php.net as well.

businessman332211: According to your website you are capable of administrating Linux and Windows web servers along with being able to use Windows' and Linux' CLI. If that is true, then why do you keep asking for help on how to setup a web server? Or maybe you're just lying to your clients...

No, actually it wasn't.
I had forgotten that was there, thanks for reminding me.

I was under the impression awhile back server administration was all about working with shared hosts.

I didn't know then about dedicated hosting, managed hosting, and what truly came behind server administration.

I removed that, thanks for telling me.

here  http://multimedia-technologies.com/downloads/WIMP.pdf

That is a quick guide I just made for WIMP. I just use IIS if I'm on windows and apache on linux.  There may be one mysql dll that has to be moved to system32 for the mysql extension to work from what I remember, but I'm not going to set up a database and make the connection to try it unless you can't figure it out. 

or here is a zip http://multimedia-technologies.com/downloads/WIMP.zip

I hope this can be of some help to you.  It is pretty much step by step.  Do not use this on any type of public server, because I did not really take any steps to secure this. It is strictly for a development machine to help get you started.  Use as is.

[me=steviewdr]suggests a live cd for dev purposes. You can get ubuntu or knoppix at:[/me]
http://knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download?action=show&redirect=download

Apache, php and mysql are pre-installed :-)

Here is how a live cd works:
Download ISO - burn CD. Put into CD Drive. Reboot PC. Job Done.
Or: Buy CD (if you cant download/burn iso), put in CD Drive, reboot pc.
When you want to go back to windows. Eject CD, remove CD. Reboot pc.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.