PHP OR Ruby on Rails

invidious3

I have been recently hit with the question of whether I should stick with PHP (I know a fair bit about it but clearly am more beginner than expert) or if I should try to pick up Ruby On Rails (I know very little of Ruby On Rails but I hear it is the new premier rapid development tool for web 2.0). I just wanted to get some opinions of what people think would be a better option in the future. Thanks.

There are frameworks around for PHP that are (IMO) comparable to that of RoR for ruby. If you already know PHP, why not stick it out a bit. Learning a new language will be inevitable eventually, but moving from language to language will get you nowhere fast. Stick with one until you feel limited by it or until a specific project requires you to learn another.

Otherwise it just a case of 'The grass is always greener'.

Thanks very much thorpe, you put it very well. Thank you so much. I think you are completely right. The grass is always greener. Might as well stick with what you know for now and I'm sure there is so much more I can do with PHP than I currently can since, as I said previously, I'm a complete n00b.

yeah, i also agree with them stick with PHP or choose one.

Or master either of them before you migrate.

Beside PHP is almost 10 years old, while ROR I think is 3 years old? :)

PHP has bigger community than ROR.

But if you ask me what i liked?

I liked PHP & JAVA it's a cool combination. :)

but i haven't mastered PHP first so i will not migrate to JAVA.

Master it first before you migrate. //this is my advice.

Okay ....well I have an alternative framework (ok this is a bit of an ad but there's value is what I'm going link to)

Its called the sniPEAR framework and its a component based framework

There are tutorials on

http://anywheretogether.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=35

It supports web2.0 (there I said it) and events etc. Sure check out the tutorials for quick look and see what you think.

Cheers

Marc

"It supports web2.0"

Wtf does that mean? Web 2.0 isn't something that can be "supported" - it's a buzzword. It's a design theme focusing on simplistic, childish layouts and colors with gradients and rounded corners, big buttons, and star-badges, never ending public beta, a focus on user-driven content, "angel" funding for ideas that simply add on to existing products, and hype. How can a framework "support" that?

I happen to really like the look of the Web 2.0 style-sites, and some of the ideas coming out of the theme are cool. Most of them are people trying to jump on a bandwagon with their startup. How the heck does a framework support that?

...it's a buzzword. It's a design theme focusing on simplistic, childish layouts and colors with gradients and rounded corners, big buttons, and star-badges, never ending public beta, a focus on user-driven content, "angel" funding for ideas that simply add on to existing products, and hype...

...Most of them are people trying to jump on a bandwagon with their startup....

that is possibly the best description for Web 2.0 i have ever heard. ever. ;D

Well maybe if you had some manners  :o and took the time to look at the tutorial you might see how it is supported.

I'll try simplify it for you though...Web 2.0 (as I would explain it) is the ability of web pages to get only the relevant content upon a page request and not re-render the whole page.

My framework is designed to only retrieve and re-draw the changed components. So lets say you have a web page and on it you only change the contents of a div then only the div will be retrieved from the server and the browser will only re-draw the div. So simple I suspect you might even grasp it  :P

Web 2.0 (as I would explain it) is the ability of web pages to get only the relevant content upon a page request and not re-render the whole page.

No it isn't. And because you think so it doesn't make it right. If I define PHP as a person wearing a green t-shirt and pink jeans living on the second floor in an apartment with five floors and who has has six couches and a laptop with a 60" monitor, then it doesn't mean that PHP is that. What you define as Web 2.0 is the use of XmlHttpRequest in JavaScript - and if you want a buzz word for that as well, then it is "AJAX".

Info about "Web 2.0"

Web2.0 and ajax are interchanged so much these days they mean the same thing.

This is a petty arguement that you are having with me here. Like the effort that went into your angry posts trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny is just pathetic.

What are you guys the gurus/genious of anyway? Pompus spouting is all I'm reading.

This is a petty arguement that you are having with me here. Like the effort that went into your angry posts trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny is just pathetic.

What are you guys the gurus/genious of anyway? Pompus spouting is all I'm reading.

Just because they're interchanged does not mean their the same thing.

Web 2.0

AJAX

Read, and learn the difference, especially since AJAX is a characteristic of Web 2.0

And really, all I see from you is a person who can't be bothered to read fact that would prove your ideas wrong.

Right... AJAX may be a significant thing in "Web 2.0", but it doesn't mean it is the same. A motherboard is important in computers, but a motherboard isn't a computer.

Actually you should read that wiki you mentioned (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web2.0)

Check out the "Technology overview" and you will find that I am right.

I think you missed the word "optionally" in front of "Ajax-based" as well as the nine other points.

Sure just google "ajax web2.0" and you will see that they are interchanged so much that whether ajax is a characteristic or not they still mean the same thing to most people. Jeez you guys are hard work  :D

I think you're the hard work here. The fact is, just because it's done doesn't mean it's right.

For example, if you called a gorilla a monkey I'd bet you'd quickly be corrected by whomever studies monkies (would that be zoologists? [spelling?]). Or even better, if you called a tiger a kitten, would that mean he couldn't kill you as quickly?

The thing is, if at least you can learn the difference, then maybe it would be used less interchangably

Sure just google "ajax web2.0" and you will see that they are interchanged so much that whether ajax is a characteristic or not they still mean the same thing to most people. Jeez you guys are hard work  :D

Well... I've heard a lot of people defining the internet as typing "www."+something in the address bar in Internet Explorer... What many people think isn't necessarily correct.

lol. Web2.0/Ajax...like get over it, the world understands where I'm coming from...you do too but obviously I've hit a nerve. As my first abuser said...they are just buzz words.... and I've as much right to use them as anyone and will continue to spread the word....same same..(but different)...but still same same  ;D

Daniel, that's not how you use get to the internet. Everyone knows you open AOL and go to Yahoo and type in the URL there. Gosh. :-P

I can say that my application supports input from USB and Apple Pie, but unless people agree on a meaning for Apple Pie it doesn't make sense. AJAX != Web 2.0. You seem to think they are interchangeable and they're not. That's like saying PHP and LAMP are interchangeable. PHP is a PART of Lamp, and an OPTIONAL one, as you can have LAMP systems with Python or Perl.

The "world" won't understand what you mean because MOST people don't even know what Web 2.0 means - because it doesn't really mean anything. Saying your framework supports AJAX makes sense, and thus sounds much more professional.

Web 2.0 is a term most commonly used by people who jump on all the "media coined" bandwagon terms. Like those who fit "weapons of mass destruction" into a normal conversation. grrr

AJAX on the other hand is a purposeful, non-general technology.

OldLadiesAtTheBusStop Syndrome I like to call it. "Oohh have you heard about that surfing the email lark the kids get up to these days? In my day, the only web we had kept my hair tidy when i went t'bed. Ooooh, and those weapons of mass destruction."

marcreidy, no one's abusing you dude - just giving you some education and putting your terms straight.

It's all good. I invented my own term, Web something or other, but I can't remember what the version number was. Oh well.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.