types of voting

redbullmarky

Nice and easy question.

When it comes to rating content, which do you prefer and why? What would YOU have on your site if you were doing a rating script?

1, Stars: eg, 5 stars and you click on whatever

2, Thumbs up/down (or generally anything with just two choices)

3, other...please give details

Basically I'm looking at implementing a nice and easy rating system into a current project, so just wondering what people kinda prefer/find easier/find look better, etc.

cheers

Stars.

Its a 5 star hotel etc. etc. 5 star rating. Its hard to say to someone - I got 5 thumbs on the project I submitted etc. etc.

Although fsckn bots are clicking the stars for me !! I dont have time to change them to javascript operated however. Its on the to-do list.

-steve

It depends what you need to rate. If it is like a comment (see: Digg) I think a thumb up/down rating system works fine as it would seem sort of strange to me that a comment got "3.7 out of 5", but rather if it is really "dugg up" or "dugg down" is easier. For content sort of things (articles, tutorials, scripts, downloads, pictures etc.) I think a five points based rating system would be better.

If you would like to get really advanced, I don't know how advanced this is though, but what is cool is a slider like this one at gamespot:http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/mvp07ncaabaseball/index.html - They had an even nice one, but now it is switched with this

here is a tutorial the scroll bar needs some graphic work, but it scrolls:

http://www.agavegroup.com/?p=28

Otherwise if your a rating from 0-10 is good if you would like to know the quality of something, but thumbs up or thumbs down for a do you like or dislike it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.