recaptcha

jcombs_31

Cool idea --until people realize how it works, and start playing digital "Mad Libs".

Captcha:

washed times

Some smart a*s' input

washed gas

Then in some digitized version of A Tale of Two Cities

It was the best of gas, it was the worst of gas, ....

(sigh)

Patrick

i wasn't much of a fan of the captcha as they're awkward enough at the best of times. however i read some of the comments (to figure out the exact point) and came across a mention of Google's Image Labeller.

The smart gits have turned their dirty work of sorting out/tagging their images into a game of some sort. Clever!

http://images.google.com/imagelabeler/

i wasn't much of a fan of the captcha as they're awkward enough at the best of times. however i read some of the comments (to figure out the exact point) and came across a mention of Google's Image Labeller.

The smart gits have turned their dirty work of sorting out/tagging their images into a game of some sort. Clever!

http://images.google.com/imagelabeler/

Whahahaa.. I tried it. You get a playing partner, then you're supposed to enter labels describing an image. The point is enter labels that match your partners' labels. I got this image:

8b2fbb8a.jpg

And my parter turned out te be called Diana. What do you know, our labels don't match... Whahahah... :P

Researchers estimate that about 60 million of those nonsensical jumbles are solved everyday around the world, taking an average of about 10 seconds each to decipher and type in.

10 seconds to solve a chaptcha? Then I must be incredibly fast.  ::) Bs if you ask me, especially as an average.

• 2 weeks later...

don't particularly like the new reCaptcha method.

1) Too much to type. 1 word is more than enough, 2 is too much. Also, some of the words are either truly hard to read (which is a waste of time) and some are just very long words to sit there and type just to verify that you're not a robot.

2) There is a flaw with the method (as I'm sure some of you realized). As it states, it uses a known word paired with an unknown word so that it can verify your response. The problem with this is if you type the known word correctly you can pretty much type anything you want for the second word. And it's fairly easy to determine which word is known, because it is usually clearer and easier to read than the unknown word. So, for example, if you get something like this:

recaptchacf5.jpg

... you can pretty much tell that "pleasure" is a known word and "crusader" is the unknown word just by looking at it. "pleasure" is much more clear than "crusader". So when typing in the answer: "pleasure stupidhead", it will return correct! THis is bad bc if a robot attempted to read this, it MAY be able to read the known word and if it does, it wouldn't matter if it couldn't read the unknown word as it could write anything for that as long as the known word is correct. Obviously the robot wouldn't know which is the known and unknown word, but just by being able to properly read the known word (which is usually clearer), it could be guaranteed to pass the verification.

That's why i do not like this new "reCaptcha" method. It will not pick up!

Edit:

I just "correctly" answered 15 recaptcha's using what I described above, even though they were blatantly wrong.

1: You are just lazy.

2: The words are randomly distorted and will have random lines over it. It doesn't take the one it knows and and distorts it less. Besides, I think the two words above are equally difficult/easy to read. If you are able to solve it using only one correct word using your above display method, then I believe that it is luck.

I just "correctly" answered 15 recaptcha's using what I described above, even though they were blatantly wrong.

Out of how many attempts? It's when talking about poll results that 100 people answered yes. It doesn't make sense without information about how many people were asked. If 110 people were asked, then a lot of people answered yes, but if 2000 people were asked, then few people answered yes.

not sure it's luck, daniel - i've just digitized 5 out of 5 blatantly wrong words simply by evaluating which one appeared to be less regular.

granted, the thing has a repeater which detects the confidence of each answer.

EDIT:  have just gone 16 for 16.  am too lazy to continue.

Okay then, I just tried myself. I seemed to be able to enter one wrong and one correct each time as well. One time I even only entered one word and it still accepted it. I still don't think a computer would be able to figure out which one is the known and which isn't though.

I'm sure some of you have been to sites where the captcha is so distorted that we as humans can even figure out. Oh boy, I can't wait to see these sites use this.... It's bad enough when I have to enter my email, password then a distorted jumble letters and numbers.... 20 seconds to enter user validation information? No thanks. I actually like a simple math problem "What does 1 plus 2 equal?" No spam yet....

I know an Idea for a captcha, just show a small picture of something:

teeth, hair, bird, cat, keyboard, etc.

then, have 4 radio buttons, one with the correct answer to what the image is, and three with incorrect answers, if they answer incorrect, then it is mostlikely a robot, or some one stupid. Otherwise it is a human.

I just got another Idea!!!

Since robots can not drag and drop stuff, you could have a table with 4 cells, or 4 divs, each with a number in it.

Next you would have a 5th div (maybe a red border or something) that is drag and drop, and it as well would have a number in it that would match to one of the 4 other div's/cells.

The user next drags the red bordered div on top of the one with the matching number, and if it goes on it BANG its a match, and it isn't a computer. if it is the wrong spot, then the person messed up, and has to try again.

I know an Idea for a captcha, just show a small picture of something:

teeth, hair, bird, cat, keyboard, etc.

then, have 4 radio buttons, one with the correct answer to what the image is, and three with incorrect answers, if they answer incorrect, then it is mostlikely a robot, or some one stupid. Otherwise it is a human.

Sort of already done: http://research.microsoft.com/asirra/

I just got another Idea!!!

Since robots can not drag and drop stuff, you could have a table with 4 cells, or 4 divs, each with a number in it.

Next you would have a 5th div (maybe a red border or something) that is drag and drop, and it as well would have a number in it that would match to one of the 4 other div's/cells.

The user next drags the red bordered div on top of the one with the matching number, and if it goes on it BANG its a match, and it isn't a computer. if it is the wrong spot, then the person messed up, and has to try again.

What about users with Javascript turned off?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.