What free PHP Debugger you are using?

bilis_money

how about a PHP IDE that has it? Like Zend Development Environement or PHP Designer 2007 Personal? They are great for writing code, they have variable trees, oop trees, project trees, and they have a great debugging tool! All you got to do is link to your php.inc file and your good to go.  Everything is settable in the options section. Zend Development Environment automatically detects those settings, though, in most cases.  So, just pick one of those and run with it.

for those of you who are talking about php's default php debugger,thats not always the best.pretty much all debuggers use php.exe anyways.but you cant debug your entire script with only php's default debugger based off of executing one file.a problem may start on a file when u modify a different file.see my point?

I wrote myself a small debugging library.  It basically gives me three functions:

debug_add() : add a debug message to an array

debug_echo() : echo a debug message immediately

debug_dump() : dump the array populated with debug_add()

Everything is dumped inside of pre tags to keep the nice formatting of print_r.  Hasn't failed me yet.

I started programming with MS Visual products so I always had debuggers with break points, call stacks, and variable watching.  However, almost all of my programming in college was done in telnet, those wonderful black and white 80x23 (not sure on the height) windows; in that environment the only debugging tool I ever used was logging or printf statements.  After a year and a half of this I finally went into one of the computer labs where everyone was using nice IDEs with debuggers and they still couldn't get their programs to run properly.  Yet there I was with my 5 telnet windows chugging away at programs that worked and they looked at me like I was the crazy one.

Anyways, if you need a call stack in PHP, look into debug_backtrace():

http://www.php.net/debug_backtrace

Combined with echo and pre tags it has everything you need. :D

P.S. I'm not harping on visual debuggers, I think they're great tools.  But I've seen too many programmers that don't know how to troubleshoot their programs without one; it makes me a sad panda.

I use Nusphere's PHPEd with inbuilt debugger. Breakpoints (conditional), watches, callstack, immediate code window to change vars during execution, ability to define GET,POST.COOKIE values, code highlighting, instant syntax error notification (red squiggles like Word spellchecker) to name but a few features.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.