Why is PHP an amateur/hobby/non-enterprise ?

chantown

I dunno rebull but he called PHP for amateur?

It is a 10 years old plus plus language.

ROR it is only 3 years old plus plus language.

ASP it is not even cross platform

And you can find more jobs with PHP than the other languages, it is very obvious.

PHP is easy to learn but it is not for amateur.

Let him try to study OOP, REGEX and PATTERN.

Now let me see if he can still say for amateur?

Well, I agree that PHP is pretty easy to start off with learning, but that is no reason to call it amateur. I, myself have just noticed a pretty big jump between the beginning of learning PHP, where you basically dump code wherever you want, and then now I'm moving towards O.O.P and MVC, and even I don't know about REGEX and PATTERN (whoah, more for me to learn!)

well yes php can be for amateurs..granted they have free php hosting and want to install a phpbb2 forum or a simple premade poll. it is easy to work with. however, i dont think it should be compared to J2EE. People generally use flash as a hobby but take on java for more advanced calculations&physics&etc...large websites such as(and yes im positive,confirmed by employees and documentaries over the years) yahoo,amazon(their primary language),google(they use mostly C and 2 dozen other languages),wikipedia,and most other advanced websites on the internet. i dont know much about coldfusion or RoR but i know that these all have their own purposes.php is used mainly as the base server-side website programming language because it is the most flexible,easiest,complex,secure(if your smart enough). its an obsession because once you learn it,you feel like you can do alot with it. so its used on so many levels..

it is very obvious.

PHP is easy to learn but it is not for amateur.

Let him try to study OOP, REGEX and PATTERN.

Now let me see if he can still say for amateur?

Almost all (scripting/programming) languages are easy to learn, it's knowing how to apply your knowledge in them thats the hard(er) part.

I'd be interested in knowing what "PATTERN" is too... Haven't heard of that before.

I was just wondering, since my professor at MIT laughed at me when I told him that's the only "web language" I know (for a project).

Your professor is obviously a jackass. PHP is easy to start with; it's flexible syntax makes it easy to learn, but unfortunately also easy to create 'bad' applications.

I'm currently forced to look at the MediaWiki source code, and I'll tell you: it's the worst excuse for an application I ever did see...

To bitch a little more about MediaWiki (yes I'm a bit frustrated by this): it relies heavily on globals which makes it very hard to understand, it mixes data access code (database abstraction? what's that?) with HTML, it's poorly documented, unpredictable, not well thought through, it's incredibly SLOW (unless you have a server farm and use the mCached extension on all 20+ servers like WikiPedia), virtually un-extensible (plugins exist, although I can't imagine anyone would want to do that for fun), defies all OOP paradigms and has hardly organized classes of 2000+ (!!!) lines.

I would never have imagined I could have this much hate for a piece of software...

Back on topic: PHP is in no way inferior to any other web scripting/programming language, only some of the applications build on it are because it is so forgiving of bad practice. Since PHP5, PHP (when properly used) can compete with all the other big guys on virtually every front.

http://www.webpronews.com/expertarticles/2005/12/22/asp-vs-php

http://www.tizag.com/aspTutorial/aspVersusPHP.php

PHP can be run on a server or as a binary, it can not only create web applications, but also create normal applications too... I don't think ASP can do that.

And just because its free doesn't mean it isn't secure.

Really... the only dominant difference between PHP, and ASP, is price.

I was just wondering, since my professor at MIT laughed at me when I told him that's the only "web language" I know (for a project).

Your professor is obviously a jackass. PHP is easy to start with; it's flexible syntax makes it easy to learn, but unfortunately also easy to create 'bad' applications.

I'm currently forced to look at the MediaWiki source code, and I'll tell you: it's the worst excuse for an application I ever did see...

To bitch a little more about MediaWiki (yes I'm a bit frustrated by this): it relies heavily on globals which makes it very hard to understand, it mixes data access code (database abstraction? what's that?) with HTML, it's poorly documented, unpredictable, not well thought through, it's incredibly SLOW (unless you have a server farm and use the mCached extension on all 20+ servers like WikiPedia), virtually un-extensible (plugins exist, although I can't imagine anyone would want to do that for fun), defies all OOP paradigms and has hardly organized classes of 2000+ (!!!) lines.

Ya well I'm sure that someone has made a bad application in RoR to, and ASP, and C, and C++, and C#, and Javascript, and Java, and XML, and HTML, and Assembler, and VB, and pretty much every programming language that exists.

Does this mean everything sucks? No. You can create bad stuff in anything, not just PHP. And this isn't the fault of the programming languages.

Does this mean everything sucks? No. You can create bad stuff in anything, not just PHP. And this isn't the fault of the programming languages.

There is a Dutch saying that springs to mind: "gelegenheid maakt de dief", loosely translated it means "opportunity makes a thief". There's probably an English version of it, but I can't think of it. Anyway, I think you know what I'm saying. If not, never mind, I have no actual wish to pursue this debate.

ok ok sorry i didn't mean to insult PHP

You can't insult non-corporeal entities, but on behalf of php I say: don't worry about it.  :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.