layout

jcombs_31

Its nice.

Will the image be randomised in the graphic on the right of the header? This would add much more to it IMO.

Im not too keen on the top email and telephone box TBH. The header area at the top needs something more IMO. Perhaps some image or background image going all the way across the top header area.

-steve

Great website.  You were wondering what to do with the header portion.  What about if you continue the background gradient from the top-left all the way across the header and make the rounded rectangle in the top-right the same maroon theme color from the navigation.  Might be a way to add some punch to that section.  I dunno.  Looks really nice though.

Whilst it's probably very apparent that you hate javascript... might I suggest you add an image preloader for the background image on the menu in the subheader area.  This will at least remedy the delay in IE for 90% of their users.  I like how you used stacked images for the logo, phone and email contacts.  Great idea!  There is a minor issue with the top of the darker telephone and envelope encroaching on the lighter images (just at the very bottom... about 1px in IE).

Could you possibly do the same sort of idea with the hover menu effects?

Kudos on a great job thus far!

Actually, you don't need javascript for image preloads, you can do the same in css.

I learned this trick from Boris Cherny's classic "abitliquid" template (the best true cross browser 100% liquid layout I've ever seen) - just replace his page container class ".wrap" with whatever your main page container ID or class is:

/* The background-image's for the .wrap below are for preloading 
all the page's images, just add your own images to the pattern */  
/***  Preload media  ***/
.wrap {
background-image: url("media/arrowwhite_left.gif");
background-image: url("media/arrowblack_left.gif");
background-image: url("media/dualarrowgold.gif");
background-image: url("media/brush.gif");
background-image: url("media/camera1.jpg");
background-image: url("media/camera2.jpg");
background-image: url("media/camera3.jpg");
background-image: url("media/ebay.gif");
background-image: url("media/shadow_leftontaupe.jpg");
background-image: url("media/shadow_rightontaupe.jpg");
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: -5000px -5000px;}
/**** end preload images ****/
[/url]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.